[SOLVED] Call to undefined function: Similar to mysql_connect, but completely different

trn579s

I just installed php4.4.3/mysql4.1.21/apache1.3.37 on my local machine and have run into a snag.  I am getting the following error when I try to call one of my own user defined functions (Fatal error: Call to undefined function: verifyEmail() in C:\xampp\htdocs\Guar...)  verifyEmail is a function that I wrote, and works just fine on my production server, but not on my local machine setup... which has all the same versions of php, mysql, and apache.  verifyEmail is in an include file that is being read correctly (I tested it with a <?php print "test"; ?> and got a result)  So, here is my function call:

$valid = verifyEmail($EmailAddress);

Here is my function in the includes file:

function verifyEmail ($testString) {

// Check for a valid email address

return (eregi("^([[:alnum:]]|_|\.|-)+@([[:alnum:]]|\.|-)+(\.)([a-z]{2,4})$", $testString));

}

Anyone have a clue as to what stupid mistake I am making? I have spent all day tinkering with php and apache settings and everything in between.

Thanks,

Tom

Yep.  I can fire a print statement in the includes file before and after my function. 

NEW DEVELOPMENT - If I put the function on the same page as my code (instead of using an include file) it works just fine.  I have been over and over the syntax on the files, and everything is good there.

Any ideas on what would cause that error 'undefined function' when I try to call it from an includes file, but not when I call it from within the same page.  Note:  I do have register_global on.

Thanks,

Tom

Is there some setting in Apache of PHP that prevents calling a user defined function, or requires it to be specified differently that I have specified it?

Here is my include and call to the function:

include $includesPath."validation_functions.php";

$valid = verifyEmail($EmailAddress);

And here is my function in the included file:

function verifyEmail ($testString) {
// Check for a valid email address 
return (eregi("^([[:alnum:]]|_|\.|-)+@([[:alnum:]]|\.|-)+(\.)([a-z]{2,4})$", $testString));
}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.