[SOLVED] IP Weather

shawnplr

I am using a shared free host which does not allow get_file curl or any such thing it says example forecast you can see a working example from the link on the home page. Sorry I should have specified that it is a script to be downloaded and tried.

I'm in the Uk, dont really care too much what the weather is in New York ;)

Not too many people would care about that example, it is from Sun, 18 Feb 2007 12:51 pm. A working example can be seen from the link on the home page. Already tested by this forum. Accuracy is no more than 60% for US. Thats not the point. Was really more interested in the usability and integrity of the down loadable script. Thanks all.

Sorry all. I either can't get my point across or I shouldn't be asking for any one to down load and test this script since my counter shows 0 downloads. So, I'll just mark it as read and keep wondering what went wrong here. ;D

i guess what you wanted was people to download the script and run it on their own which might require a little more effort than some people want to put it, a link to the working script might have been a better post

• 2 weeks later...

is it 11.2mb? crap, thats a hell of a lot. why is it so big?

There's a data file that's about 11MB with it. I'm assuming this is where all the locale information is being pulled from, but it would be so much nicer if that was accessible in an online DB somewhere instead of having a file that big for my site.

It tells me that I live in Chicago, IL when I live in Hawaii.

And then it tries to get me to buy some wood or saws or something like that.

:s

Your ip range is not in the database so it showed you the default city forecast which is set by the webmaster. It most certainly did not ask you to purchase anything. The download site is a free shared host which can not allow file_get, fopen and the like for security reasons. So there is a link to my other site for the working example. I am no rocket scientist but I am not trying to advertise carpentry tools to IT's and programmers.

I feel a certain obligation to respond to posts on threads I have started. I just wish there was a way of deleting this one. Please no more posts here. I wrote the script because it is what I wanted and it was not available. If you like it it is open source (LGPL) for as long as kwikphp.com allows me to offer it on their server. If not write it down and send it to some one who cares. Over 200 downloads 1 suggestion 1 vote 0 thanks.

Signed

Last time I will ever post on a forum or offer anything to the internet community for free. :'(

P.S. Special thanks to those of you who took the time to read the replies and try the script. I have appreciated the feedback positive and negative alike.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.