shopping carts for clients

jcombs_31

Ok, so I bring this up because of a possible new job building a site that incorporates a shopping cart.  I've yet to use it, but read up on authorize.net.  What I gather is that the client would have to sign up with some type of merchant account, and then use authorize.net to send the transaction to the merchant.  My questions are about settin everthing up. 

I guess the first step is the client needs to sign up with a merchant account.  Client would then have to pass this info along to the developer. Client would also need an account with authorize.net and have to give me that access as well.  Doesn't this lead to some privacy concerns for the client.  Do you just tell them to reset passwords or whatever when site is complete.

Who has experience with this process and can provide some input?

well I usually just use paypal for all transactions. so what I do is ask the client what they want their paypal e-mail address to be (paypal@their-new-domain.com). Then I go on and make the account, set up all of the options, IPN, anything else. After I finish building/testing the site I give them the password to the account and tell them to change it...now it's all in their hands. If they need me to fix something they can either tell me the password or just change it temporarily for me.

is this what you mean? or did I get it wrong :)

Makes sense for paypal, but if the business already has a merchant/bank account set up that they want to use directly, I would need to use a payment gateway.

What method do you use with paypal? Do you use their shopping cart or do they have a simlar method using a gateway service that that transactions can go directly through the website?  I've used their shopping cart feature once but it is not integrated enough with the site and doesn't work if you want to build your own shopping cart...

edit:  I see now they have payment pro that seems to do what I want.

I usually just make my own internal cart system. When the order gets placed it gets sent to paypal to get bought/processed. When it gets processed the IPN comes back through a script and updates the whole order to release it.

which service do you use, because from what I see the stanard payment service makes the client visit paypals site in the checkout process.  the new Payment Pro service states 2-20 days of dedicated programming to integrate into a non-compatible shopping cart. Are you accepting credit cards directly on the site or do you make them use their paypal account?

right now it's just standard. they have to "leave" my site...go to paypal and pay...then get re-directed back. They have all of the usual payment options (paypal account or not). I haven't looked into the Pro version but I need to shortly, I'm just way to busy with projects to worry about that now :)

I'm sure most merchant account providers have some sort of sandbox where you are dealing with virtual money for developers to test out their applications. Paypal got one. I don't know about authorize.net. If they do then it is just a matter of changing small areas in the code to fit the actual API instead of the sandbox API.

Edit: Perhaps I should have reversed my process (ie looking at the site before posting instead of the opposite way around). Authorize.net does seem to have such things: http://developer.authorize.net/ and http://developer.authorize.net/testaccount/

Sure, but with a test account you wouldn't have to use the clients account and therefore there wouldn't be any privacy issues related to developing for that. With a test account for yourself the client wouldn't have to provide any of their login credentials so you would have access to potential confidential informations about the customers.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.