[SOLVED] MySQL Fulltext

per1os

Hey all,

Well I was working on revamping a few databases, one of which is a blog engine, and was wondering about the fulltext feature. I read up on it a bit on the MySQL manual but I am curious as to if anyone has used it and the performance of the fulltext column.

Right now the current DB is very limited on searching but I would like to expand that functionality. Fulltext seems like it will work great, the only problem is I have around 40,000 blogs that can range anywhere from a few hundred chars to a few thousand. The question I am asking is when a user creates a new blog, will it take the query a longer time to input that blog into the system due to the fulltext index? If it takes .5 seconds as appose to .0001 seconds I would be alright with that, just as long as each blog is not taking 10 seconds + to load into the DB.

Any insight on the fulltext attribute to a MySQL DB which size is roughly 50mb's of blogs would be great. Thanks for the information!

i hope the following will help your decision:

1)mysql provides special functions to evaluate how long(i.e. performace) the search is taking

2)fulltext fields takes more space

3)vbulletten forum can handle millions and millions of fulltext fields, im sure you have seen some huge vbulleten forums, and fulltext search works great on them.

Awesome Zaid. That was just what I was looking for. I havn't looked at vbbulletin in a long time.

I still welcome any other comments, but as far as I am concerned right now, fulltext is the way to go.

Appreciate it Zaid.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.