Community project

The competition is a good idea but usually only the more experienced can really get anything out from them.

How about a community project, where a task is set, like a CMS, forum or something similar, then everyone can chose or is given a part to do and then help build it, it would mean all abilities could help out in some way and really learn from doing it too.

There's no prizes and it's not a race, just something to bond the community more and have the satisfaction of "I helped make that" at the end.

Just a suggestion. :)

Sounds pretty cool. Sort of similar to CV's "vision", although not quite the same.

[...] We are hoping to eventually turn this into making a framework.  This may or may not involve using code/structure submitted.  I have a vision in my head that includes taking the best of everything submitted and gluing it all together to form the basis for a framework, sort of thing. 

Well, that's my grand vision, as far as this is concerned, anyways.  Nobody else seemed all that interested in actually figuring out the plans for this whole thing, so I'm more or less going off my own ideas/visions here. 

I'm not the only judge or the only voice that matters in this decision, though.  But unless they speak up, that's how it is.

Yeah, that was the idea behind the game.  The plan is to re-introduce that into the competitions several times, building on various parts.

The problem with what you're suggesting is that everyone would have to work on the same thing to make the judging fair and actually provide a "winner".  If everyone does something different, it wouldn't really be a competition.

Unless you're just talking about working on a project outside of the competition arena.

Mutley, it's a good idea and one that I'd probably get involved in if it was here - however, Sourceforge (whilst not very "community driven") is probably the best place for stuff like that as you can specifically choose what type of project you wanna get involved with and what area you want to focus on.

Having said that, if tomorrow morning there was a forum that appeared from nowhere saying "Help Build the PHPFreaks Community CMS!", then I'd be in.

Mutley, it's a good idea and one that I'd probably get involved in if it was here - however, Sourceforge (whilst not very "community driven") is probably the best place for stuff like that as you can specifically choose what type of project you wanna get involved with and what area you want to focus on.

Having said that, if tomorrow morning there was a forum that appeared from nowhere saying "Help Build the PHPFreaks Community CMS!", then I'd be in.

I see what your saying but would a PHPFreaks project help build a community? As in, everyone can get to know each other and learn? It would be fun, where Sourceforge is for more experienced users that want to help a project like work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.