How much framework is enough?

gp177

Hi All,

I work for a major university and I am developing a php site that will be used for e-commerce and user account management.  Database entries will be using SOAP/webservices and SQL queries to pull records from the database.

My question is how much framework do I need?

At the minimum I always keep database, security, and templateing functions out of my display scripts.  Is this enough?  Does this sound like the type of project that warrants a full blown MVC framework?

There is a history of high turnover in my position and I want to ensure that anyone who follows me will be able to manipulate the site without too much of a learning curve.

There is a history of high turnover in my position and I want to ensure that anyone who follows me will be able to manipulate the site without too much of a learning curve.

If that is the case I think you should go with one of the established frameworks like cakePHP or codeIgniter (sp?).  That will place the majority of development time on building the actual site rather than mucking with low-level details.  It will also give someone new a head start on development because they'll have documentation and resources available to them.

From what i hear, codeIgnitor is a little bit more simple and alot of poeple use that as a stepping stone to CakePHP.

i'll be one of those people - however, don't underestimate CodeIgniter as a framework in itself. When I personally state that it's a good stepping stone, I mean it in terms of the fact that CodeIgniter is just simple and well documented in comparison. Doesn't mean you're a "noob" if you stick with CodeIgniter - far from it - it still comes with the learning curve, but also comes with tonnes more out of the box than Cake

In terms of "How much framework do I need?" - the answer is simply "As much as you need to achieve the goals properly."

As for:

Does this sound like the type of project that warrants a full blown MVC framework?

what i've grown to realise is that most things bigger than a "Hello world" type script warrants an MVC framework, as it's just so much easier to keep ontop of long term. As for "full blown" - depends on what you consider full blown. Most of the frameworks out there seem full blown to start with, as they can be quite intimidating - but once you get used to them, you'll be laughing at how much easier it is.

In terms of the position turnover you mention, a person filling your shoes is much more likely to be aware and comfortable with Cake than CodeIgniter due to how long it's been around. But what I like about the both is they're very similar - so swapping between the two is quite an easy affair.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Thanks responses. 

I have been playing with both Cake and CodeIgniter.  I have been programing php for a couple years now but I am new to these frameworks.  CodeIgniter really jumped out at me with its simplicity and ease of use.

I have read some on the Zend framework (reviews tend to be mixed).  It's still in beta and I have not been able to find anything saying when an anticipated stable release will be.  Anyone have any idea?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.