Getting PHP Certified

Drezard

I wish to become a Professional PHP Developer. I have been playing around with PHP for about 18 months now. (Yea, I know I'm still not good enough)

So my questions are:

- Who offers PHP Certification? So like Microsoft offers ASP.Net Certification. Cisco offers Network certification (well one). Who does the PHP version of this?

- Where is good place to do a PHP course? (Would I be looking at more of a university or a computer training place).

- Do you know of a good place in melbourne?

Regards, Daniel

I thought the Zend Cert. was the best (I started PHP by reading the Zend PHP 101 :) I'm just making sure I don't go for a certification spend hours doing it, then get told its worthless.

Any other opinions?

Regards, Daniel

I thought the Zend Cert. was the best (I started PHP by reading the Zend PHP 101 :) I'm just making sure I don't go for a certification spend hours doing it, then get told its worthless.

Ask yourself this: how will the certification help you? To me, it's simply a personal help. There are very few jobs that I came across in my recent search that required any sort of certification, and of those that recommended the certification, in none of the cases did the certification make a difference in pay brackets.

Also, there were three different jobs that I interviewed with that allowed for an online examination of their own devising to bypass the certification requirement if you could show you have sufficient experience and knowledge to their needs. One other thing to consider is that most employers are going to take "in the trenches" coding experience above simply a certification.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not discouraging anyone from taking the exam: on the contrary, I'm planning on requesting my new employer to sponsor me to take the Zend training and certification myself once I'm settled in my new position. It's an invaluable asset, and if you're planning on being self employed and primarily doing freelance type work, it's an incredible addition to your resume. Just don't expect it to do more that it can for you.

Hope these thoughts are of some help.

Currently I was also thinking about Zend certification

But I think How expert I am .I am sure about that Any certificate doesn't require to prove ones experties.

and there is one more Issue that I dont know whats the Question Pattern and As I am from India -> Kolkata here I found No books on Zend certification Exam info here.

Is it a onsite exam or I've to go somewhere to take the Exam.

and another issue is $125 = 5250 Rs(In India) And its not a small amount of money.

I actually just finished taking PHP Essentials which was through zend.com and PHParchitect. The next class I am taking, in June is, "PHP Certification Training". I did the online class and to be honest, didn't find it helpful, especially for the cost ($2000 for the three classes). I am hoping the next class will be better, but so far I have learned much more from over the counter books then I have with "Cert Classes".

Although I am taking a PHP/LAMP class at a local community college that is really good. $135. and way better than an official "Cert Class".

If you want, I'll report after I have taken the "PHP Certification Training" and let you know if it was any good.

SC

If you want, I'll report after I have taken the "PHP Certification Training" and let you know if it was any good.

That would be great if you could.

I'm also wondering, do open source project help with exprience. So, if i have a few open source projects that ive added a bit too on my resume am I more likely to get the job?

Regards, Daniel

Would Open Source Pojects help me get a job on my Resume?

If you mean would helping with an open source project be resume worthy, I would vote absolutely yes. Many employers I'm sure would smile on the fact that you had a hand in a OS project, especially if it was a large one.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.