[SOLVED] Displaying the first four characters in php.

Andrew R

Hi how do I only display a limited amount of characters in php? For example:

<? echo $row_users[‘name’]; ?>

Name = Robb_Bob.  How would I only display only display Robb from the database?  All names in the database are separated by _ .

That won't work, since the quotes characters are wrong. You should be using normal single quotes ' not "smart" quotes ‘’

Also if the first string is longer than 4 characters, a better way would be to use the explode() function:

<?php
$tmp = explode('_',$row['name']);
echo $tmp[0];
?>

Ken

I just re-read your post... are you saying you always want to display the part before the _ ? No matter what the length?

That would be easiest achieved by....

<?php

$names = explode('_',$row_users[‘name’]);
  echo $names[0];

?>

I just re-read your post... are you saying you always want to display the part before the _ ? No matter what the length?

Yeah most names in the database are four characters long but some are longer so I want to display everything before the _. 

How would have add something that this into the above code

$names = addslashes($riga[2]);

instead of the

<? echo $row_users[‘name’]; ?>

Thanks for the help.

Sorry to bring this topic up again but how would I display everything after the _ if the name was Robb_Bob how would I display Bob.

Thanks for your help.

$var = "Robb_Bob";
$x = explode("_",$var);
echo $x[1];
//use print_r to display everything in the array, so you can see what explode does
//print_r($x);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.