A good PHP IDE

malfist

I've been looking for a good PHP IDE that is free or open source. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've been using Notepad++ (from sourceforge) on windows and WINEing it on Ubuntu. It's nice, but I'd like some code-completion (yeah, I'm lazy) and some on the fly error checking.

Malfist

i'm not sure you'll find a good free or open-source IDE that's specifically tailored to PHP.  i hope someone proves me wrong on this, because it'd be a really great find.  i currently use UltraEdit32 and find it to be extremely handy; however, it lacks PHP-specific syntax verification and parse error checking as far as i know.  there may be a plugin for that.

I like Eclipse very much.

It's originaly made for Java, but there's a version ported to PHP.

It got very nice code completition, syntax checking, and many powerful features, google it.

Much people don't like it because it don't have WYSIWIG.

Eclipse is definitely the way to go, it isn't as good as for Java, but it has most of the things you'd need, and there are plug-ins for most other general things (such as SVN/CVS integration).  I used to use an editor but gradually started using Eclipse more and more because of its code completion and auto completion (the latter being like command-line completion).  You can also get a plug-in for Simple Test which is icing on the cake.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried PHP Eclipse and it tells me "Operation Failed" I run it as root in command line and it still give no output but "Operation Failed". I couldn't install PDT either, it would break compatibility with eclipse and I couldn't fix it. I tried installing some other updates from Eclipse but when I try to open the list to view the available it throws Java.lang.NullPointerException and that's all it tells me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.