[SOLVED] MyISAM and InnoDB in RAM

Azu

Please tell me how to make it so that as soon as MySQL starts, all of my MyISAM and InnoDB tables are loaded into RAM so that after that they don't have to be read from disk (and any changes to them are made to the one in the RAM and also committed to disk)

I want all of the data in my mysql database to be loaded into memory at startup.

This way once it starts up, everything is done in memory, and there is no disk I/O overhead.

I would like any changes made to be committed to disk once in a while though, in case of a power problem.

And also committed to disk at shutdown.

Is this possible? Any help would be very appreciate :D

You can create a RAM disk, copy your database files to it, and start MySQL.  It doesn't do much for writing it back to disk, however.  You can write a script+cron to occasionally back it up/before shutdown.

Alternatively, you can (and this is almost needlessly complex) have two tables, one on disk, one in RAM -- created from disk at startup -- do just SELECTs from the in-RAM database and writes to both.  If you're truly strapped for performance and have a database with heavy read traffic, that might help.  In this way, writes are always committed to disk.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.