Here is my site... It's not professional, like the others here.

JP128

Ok, here is my site. I have made many updates to it, and re-vamped the whole register form. I know its in need of color =)

Test it out, try to find bugs, anything thats wrong, please report it here =)

http://jp128.mooo.com/

Suggestions/comments are welcome, be blunt so I know what's in need of fixin' heh.

I just started on it about a week ago, made all of the scripts myself, except the forums heh

Its not really anything, because I don't have a service to provide. I created it solely for the purpose of learning PHP.

Inside, after you register/login, you can use my PM system... lol, I know, I need a lot more but its only been a week since I started to create everything.

Also, I would like ideas on adding color. I am sure that most of you are more color/style oriented than I am... I am more of a coder, and don't really look at things like some people do. I am creative, but not with colors. Thats why my site is all paper-white. I will be adding something that when you log in, you will be able to change your styles to what ever you want.

I liked the initial login register screen.  I did not register. The test user password is a good idea.

You are like me, in that you are a beginner teaching yourself and writing everything from scratch, starting with a login/register system.

It is a great way to learn, doing it yourself from scratch.

But it is a LOT of work, and guessing, and some people have more tenacity than others at sticking to it until they succeed.

This is why it would be nice if someone could take many of these teach-yourself efforts, and consolidate them into a sample application, downloadable as a zip, which anyone could easily install and start using, at any website (even Yahoo Business).  It could have a script to create the sql database and tables necessary. It could even be slick and prompt you for your mysql user, password.

And it could have an accompanying tutorial or help system, so that the beginner in php/mysql could study all the scripts.

But the important thing is that the login/register app and the phone/address app, would be done in a sound fashion, without guess work, such that an expert would approve of its design.

Just a thought.

Re-inventing the wheel is sometimes a useful exercise, but there should be an alternative, especially in this wonderful world of shareware and open source.

Why not have a CONTEST, to see who can produce the best beginners application. Everyone could critique and correct the shortcomings of each submission, and then a proper set of scripts would ultimately be produced and provided somewhere as a downloadable zip.  I think it is essential to provide the working scripts and install FIRST, and worry about tutorial later. That way people who have a foundation will not get bored or frustrated by a tutorial that is too simpleminded.  And everyone is in a hurry to have something that works, and that they can start using

ok, I fixed the register script, I added 2 columns in the database, and forgot an "  '  "(apostrophe), when I put it into the insert values part.

a sample user:

Username: Test

Password: Tester

Pretty good. I think you need to add a template and all you need to do is code your own forum now

Heres the activation email i get when registering:

Welcome To Zelocalz.com, The Island Marketplace. TO start using your new account
Please Click below.

Activate Your Account Now!

Thankyou,
Zelocalz

Wheres the link  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.