[WHY NOT?] Lamp / Wamp

d22552000

I heard that LAMP doesnt do crons properly and I heard that WAMP sometimes doesnt even start...

Windows does not support cron so neither does any WAMP solution. As for a LAMP solution not doing crons.... what exactly are you talking about? Cron is a Linux tool.

Now... with that out of the way, I'll assume your talking about the prepackged *amp solutions. Ive never used them myself, but I'm a Linux type guy and I like to figure things out from scratch. I could see the pro's being that they let php developers worry about developing php. you don't have to worry about configuring this and that, just write your code.

Of course, this would also be considered a con by some people (myself included). I like to know exactly how / where my environment was installed. But then again (being the Linux type guy), thats what I like doing.

idk... I might use wamp for my EXTERNAL servers so I don't have to manually set it up.. but for my internal server imma continue with my apache, oracle, mssql, mysql, php, asp, and python setup...

uh,... im using...

A MOM PAP lol.

Apache Mysql Oracle Mssql PHP Asp Python

AHAHA A MOM POP!!

• 3 weeks later...

Because its much easier to install and update on linux :)

Here is how to install LAMP software on ubuntu/debian:

apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client libmysqlclient12-dev apache2 libapache2-mod-php5 php5-cli php5-common php5-cgi php5-mysql

Here is how to get security updates:

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade

Piece of Cake!

-steve

omfg help mee!!! my server is down cause php unexpectedly quit working.. I had to rewrite my apahce conf file and that screwed everythign up.

now when I add teh php lines to make it a MODULE it screws up and farts -,-.

WONT START APACHE.  I heard that if you start apache from some command line something you get the output of parsing the conf files/// how do I do this?

I noticed that in btoh vmware and msvpc the mouse is OFFICIALLY UNSUPORTED in all linux distros.

You have to fix it yourself -,-  or run linux with -<KERNEL> expert | noloopbackx1687341

What do u mean with mouse unsupported? Ive tried FC 4, FC 6 and Red Hat Enterprise (at work) and had no problem, plus the last two support vmware tools for smooth mouse transition between os's.

well I only had suse fuss about hte mouse in vmware, but all linux ditsos running under MVPC don't work.  Pretty simple.  They run find and boot find but if you don't start with those above things, it doenst capture your mouse pointer.  so your mouse can move, in yoru host os but in the guest os it doents know you HAVE a mouse.  Damn M$ (MicroShit)

I started to get debian before I noticed it was 21 CD's or 3 (1/2) DVD's (the half dvd is the update).

I decided to get Ubuntu Linux 7.04 Server *Yes I know 7.10 is current version but I already had 7.04 downloaded)

I hear it has LAMP installation right after the minimal step :D  I was reading the install documentation (VERY SPARSE) on:  http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/installing-from-cd.html.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.