database connect

dhimok

i know that thorpe . look im sure that this guy know how to connect db in the local machine right?? now tell me is there diff when you connect to other server

something like

Usually there is a web server and database server, so files and databases stand on different servers. Just use mysql_connect('other server host', 'user', 'pass').

cheersss!!!

Very true thope but only if the IP is static

Seriously.. who runs a server using a dynamic ip? :-) I know I used to run dev servers from home using a dynamic ip, however, I would never run any production server without a static ip.

i know that thorpe . look im sure that this guy know how to connect db in the local machine right?? now tell me is there diff when you connect to other server

Sorry teng, your shorthand English made it hard to see the point to your post.

guys slower??? can you even recognize the difference its almost the same its even faster than the light i guess so you wont recognize it

Hostname vs IP adds another layer that simply does not need to be there.

1. its not the speed of light, that FDDI and even then the data needs to be translated and relayed..

2. the IP doesn't need to be looked up in a DNS thus its faster.

Very true thope but only if the IP is static

Seriously.. who runs a server using a dynamic ip? :-) I know I used to run dev servers from home using a dynamic ip, however, I would never run any production server without a static ip.

Erm.. my last company did before i join LMAO.. yeah i know but its worth saying, just incase someone is trying to cut costs ;)

i dont understand you thorpe your the only person that keeps on complaining my ENGLISH I hate ENGLISH but what can i do, its the universal @@@@ so I need to use it

look i know four languages and 3 dialect so maybe thats why i cant be as good as Americans do

we are discussing about a language, but its php and not english lol jk. About the ip vs hostname thing, using ip will be faster as it doesnt need resolving and using the application layer at all. But it is very general and would be taken in consideration when dealing with large systems. In this case, dhimok, use whatever u like :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.