how would i count this?

AV1611

I need to know how many rows this will return, not the actual data.

SELECT DISTINCT a.name,a.ip,b.name

FROM onlineip AS a Inner Join onlineip AS b ON a.ip = b.ip

WHERE a.name NOT LIKE  b.name AND a.ip NOT LIKE  '' AND a.name NOT LIKE  'Recruit' AND b.name NOT LIKE  'Recruit'

order by a.name

I can't figure out how to do this in sql

I am going to use it in PHP , but I need to know the answer before I run the query.  I don't want to run the same query twice because that would be retarded

Thanks

Don't be a punk...

This is a help forum.  If you don't like the question, don't answer.  I already know where the manual is, and was just being lazy (as most posters are... we're all human).  I decided to solve this with PHP (and did), but I still would like to know how to do this with the group by function your link alludes to, but I couldn't figure out (hence the validity of my question and the stupidity of your answer).

@AV1611 someone whos trying to help is not a punk neither his/her answers are stupid. Being helped should be considered a privilege, even if the answer is not what u really wanted.

Anyway dont know about your question, but the last part of your signature is pretty cool  ;D

Perhaps I was a bit grouchy, but his answer was meant to ridicule more than to help.  I have help quite a few people here over the years myself.  I may not know as much as some, but I've been a help to many.  I just get tired of the smugness.

ADMIN if you like, you can delete this thread, as you know this is not how my threads usually end up :P

Oh,

And I'm still hoping someone can help...

I think you need

<?php
$sql = "SELECT COUNT(DISTINCT CONCAT(a.name,a.ip,b.name)) as recs
        FROM onlineip AS a Inner Join onlineip AS b ON a.ip = b.ip
        WHERE a.name NOT LIKE  b.name 
            AND a.ip NOT LIKE  '' 
            AND a.name NOT LIKE  'Recruit' 
            AND b.name NOT LIKE  'Recruit'
        ORDER BY a.name";
$res = mysql_query($sql);
$count = mysql_result($res,0);
echo $count;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.