What'd the setting for using GET variables without the _GET[] part?

hatrickpatrick

Strange problem... It seems that if I have a variable, say "board=9" in the URL, the file in question, (say threads.php?board=9) can use it as $board jusrt fine, but if that file, threads.php, includes header.inc.php, the header file has to cll it as $_GET['board'], $board isn't set... Is there a way to set this so the included files can also use the GET variable names, or will I have to just rewrite all my code which has this problem?  ???

Strange problem... It seems that if I have a variable, say "board=9" in the URL, the file in question, (say threads.php?board=9) can use it as $board jusrt fine, but if that file, threads.php, includes header.inc.php, the header file has to cll it as $_GET['board'], $board isn't set... Is there a way to set this so the included files can also use the GET variable names, or will I have to just rewrite all my code which has this problem?  ???

You mean the $_GET[] superglobal isn't visible to included files?

If variables are set without calling the get superglobal then u have register_globals on. Dont know whats the problem with included file as dont know how's your script written. If u have access to php.ini or a custom one in shared hosting, just turn it off as it will cause more problems then resolve. Better call it with $_GET and ure sure for your variables.

EDIT: From the php manual:

It's preferred to use superglobals, rather than relying upon register_globals being on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.