Need some immediate help please!

virtuexru

No reason at all it can't be done with PHP. Use <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="20" />, and keep track of the time they get the page the first time, vs the time they get the page the second.

Hurray for alternatives to javascript!

Which is still not PHP, it's HTML.

That's like saying "It's not a web server doing it, it's a client side language doing it!"

It's kind of meaningless, and is so broad as to encompass THE ENTIRE INTERNET.

No.  No it's not.  I get where you're coming from, but it's not.

Also, I wouldn't use the method that is suggested as that would make the form load as that would mean it'll refresh every 20 seconds, every time it loads, unless you use flow control statements.  I'd invest in Javascript for this, if not Flash?

That's like saying "It's not a web server doing it, it's a client side language doing it!"

Also, I wouldn't use the method that is suggested as that would make the form load as that would mean it'll refresh every 20 seconds, every time it loads, unless you use flow control statements.  I'd invest in Javascript for this, if not Flash?

PHP will NEVER directly control the client's browser.

Nor will Apache.

Nor will IIS.

Nor will ASP.

Nor will Coldfusion.

The server sends data to the client, in a language the client understands, like HTML or CSS or whatever, and the client interprets THAT. Not the actual code on the server side.

This applies to the entire internet.

If I am wrong please explain.

echo "<meta http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"20\" />"

That's still HTML doing the work, dur. You can make PHP print anything you want but it doesn't mean PHP is making the page refresh. PHP is just printing the HTML which makes it refresh. If you don't know the basic HTML parts, you can't do it. There is no PHP function to do that, it is HTML no matter what language you use to print the HTML

PHP will NEVER directly control the client's browser.

Nor will Apache.

Nor will IIS.

Nor will ASP.

Nor will Coldfusion.

The server sends data to the client, in a language the client understands, like HTML or CSS or whatever, and the client interprets THAT. Not the actual code on the server side.

This applies to the entire internet.

If I am wrong please explain.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.