[SOLVED] saving large amounts of text in mysql

Asperon

for larger amounts of text ie. 12K characters and up would it be better to save them into a mediumtext in mysql or save them into a text file and just point to it from the database? They will be accessed often and there will be eventually hundreds of these files.

as for 3K characters or so, would just saving them into a text variable be ok? or should similar method, like that of the above question be used?

well, I can't remember the limit but mysql has a limit of 56,000 characters or something by the option of "text".

I don't know if 12 K will exceed the limit.

Mysql is a very strong database. I was always afraid that it wouldn't be fast or able to process such data loads. But I was incorrect. Mysql can and will work just fine with 12 K texts.

- It is all up to you. Is it easier to code with seperate files or not?

If it was up to me, I would use mysql only. I hate working with flat files. This is the reason why mysql was created!!!

thank you, I am going to use medium text, I just wasn't sure if I should save it in  mysql or a txt file, this table is going to be holding short stories etc. users will submit them, I guess that I'll save them in mysql and will have to call them with htmlentities() in a <p> tag for viewing. Thank you for yourhelp

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.