Nameservers

The Little Guy

If I want to run a website from more than one server, so if I have one web host, and someone else has another host, can I add that to the name servers?

Say his are:

ns57.1and1.com

ns58.1and1.com

and mine are:

NS1.DREAMHOST.COM

NS2.DREAMHOST.COM

NS3.DREAMHOST.COM

Will that work, so we can split the traffic? Or, how can we spit traffic what will be the best way to do that?

To be honest I don't think you are going to be able to do that with a shared hosting account.  This can be done via apache but not dns. About the only thing you can do with dns is have a nameserver located in a different location but it wouldn't split traffic as the master would only update the slave with the A records and cnames.

You may want to look into mod_proxy and mod_proxy_balancer for load balancing. Here is a simple example.

vhost

<VirtualHost *:80>
  ServerAdmin you@yourdomain.com
  ServerName www.domain.com
  ServerAlias domain.com
  ProxyPass / balancer://domaincluster/
  ProxyPassReverse / balancer://domaincluster/
  ErrorLog /path/to/apache_error_log
  CustomLog /path/to/apache_access_log combined
  <Location /balancer-manager>
    SetHandler balancer-manager
    #make sure to protect this
  </Location>
</VirtualHost>

simple cluster

<Proxy balancer://domaincluster>
  BalancerMember http://member1.domain.com 
  BalancerMember http://member2.domain.com
  BalancerMember http://member3.domain.com
</Proxy>

Now in your zone file you would want A records for memeber1,2 and  3 with them pointing to different machines. Also you could tell the load balancer to double the load on one or more by adding loadfactor=2 after the BalancerMemeber domain.

The Proxy balancer which tom suggested is the easiest way - however the proxy will have to handle ALL the traffic.

Little Guy: As you initially suggested, you can use nameservers to give you a "round robin" effect when serving a website. Typically you will see:

www.website.com can have 2 A addresses. I.e.:

www.website.com    A    ip.address.of.server1

www.website.com    A    ip.address.of.server2

This record will have to be added to all of the nameservers where www.website.com is currently held.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.