1. 1. Which Javascript Framework Do You Like Best

• jQuery
    • Mootools
    • Prototype
    • Dojo
    • ExtJS
    • YUI
    • Other

Which one do you like best?  I think i have all the major frameworks there, if not just vote other and say which one.

For me it is jQuery.  I used mootools at first and loved it but then after getting into jQuery, i just liked the way they did thing better.  Very rarely do you need to make a object from a class like it mootools, you just extend jQuery.  I used mootool at first because when i first started looking, jQuery was a bit slower but boy have they improved.  Also another great thing about jQuery is there community.  They are much kinder to new comers to jQuery and even javscript itself which is very nice, mootools community gave me the impression that they though they were elite and did not need to help with simpler questions.

ditto to the comments about the (sample that i've seen) mootools community. I find many of the them highly pretentious and unhelpful, with more than a fair share of "R.T.F.M" posts for my liking.

however - it's still mootools for me. small, easy to use, smooth, etc. Prototype/Script.aculo.us, etc are great, but far too big IMO. Most of the stuff I dont/wont even look at. Mootools at least lets me strip things down to the absolute bare bones and include a pretty small file (even uncompressed).

I might take a look at jQuery though, as I've not done so yet (as well as the others, except YUI - but that just struck me as huge and over-complex). It'll need to have alot of benefits to make me shift, however.

Yea.  My problem with prototype has always been its size and from looking at their code, you do seem to have to write a little more code than with jQuery or mootools.  I just downloaded YUI and Dojo and the size of those 2 are huge and huge is not what i would want.  I think jQuery and mootools are very similar is what they want to accomplish(create very small base files  that are easily extended), they are just doing it is different ways.

I liked mootools in the beginning because of its classes and animation system but i find myself liking the way jQuery has done it.  One thing mootools had over jQuery is Team support plug-ins(Supported by mootools team that is like tips and accord(which the jQuery Community has built).  The reason i said had is because jQuery just released the first version of the jQuery UI package which comes which code to be able to resize, move sort list item, sort tables, create tabs, create dialog boxes and more that is for the most part cross-browser(some feature are still not but those are the more advanced feature of this set) and their is still quite a few more plug-ins being developed for this jQuery UI that have not been released(still in beta).  Another thing Mootools had over(and still kinda does) is the animation system.  The main issue i had/have with the jQuery Animation system is the their was not way to stop the animation and then revert back to the old way automatically.  Which the release of jQuery 1.2 they did add a function to stop all animation on an element which means now i can stop and then chain code to revert the element back to its original state.  I think mootools still has a slight edge in this department.

Their were 2 main reason that i switch to jQuery after using mootools for about 2 months(both dealing with support).  The first one was that their community is 100% more friendly and willing to help new people with what the mootools community would consider a retarded question that they should look else where for.  I can total respect that but all you have to do is make a sections called Beginners or something for Beginners questions to mootools and javascript in general.  This would not hurt mootools, only help the community to grow.  The other one is documentation.  The official mootools docs are not the best, jQuery are a little better but not much.  Mootools also has the mootutorial with is descent but jQuery already has 2 books and a 3rd one that is being worked on right now.

It all came down to community and support, is their was no jQuery, I would use mootools.

• 3 weeks later...

MooTools hands down. The oo approach makes the most sense when building your own custom applications. For example, I created a popup div class that i use for popup windows and error handling. When used for error handling it is called from my form validation class.

Mootools does a great job of keeping JS's prototypical class structure and incorporating a "traditional" oo approach.

While the community can be dicks, the developers are absolutely hardcore about putting out the best product.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.