Few OS/Security questions.

lszanto

I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday and I just have a few questions about operating systems and security, most of the specs are below but please ask for more info if needed.

Specs -

HD- 160gb

Processor - Intel Core Duo 1.73ghtz

Ram - 2gb

Os - Windows Vista

Questions

• I'm going to install linux on this computer with a partition, is there anything I need to take into consideration before doing this and what size partition is reccommended?
  • I have ubuntu and kubuntu and am not used to using linux much, which is better to use?
  • If I want to update my version of linux(kubuntu/ubuntu) do I need to format the partition to install the new version or can it be done an easier way?
  • For windows vista what is the best free security that I can get?

thanks, Luke

1. This really depends on what your planning on doing with Linux, but if you want my advice, you'll want at least two partitions for Linux. One for / and one for /home. This way if you do install a new Linux you can keep you user directories safely.

2. Ive not used either but I imagine they are much the same. One (ubuntu) uses the gnome desktop by default, the other KDE.

3. Most Linux distros (ubuntu/kubuntu included) dynamically update packages as required and you really don't need to reinstall the entire system.

4. Install Linux.

Thanks, I have been helped alot, is there anybody else that has any ideas for me?

For free Windows antivirus programs, the big two seem to be AVG and Avast!  Most of the people I've encountered like AVG more, but I'm an Avast! guy.  It's a bit more user friendly, IMO.  Both do the job well, though.

For anti-spyware, I go with Spybot Search & Destroy.  The newest version comes with a registry protector and hooks into IE.  There are also frequent updates.

For your laptop, your best security option is probably to use your Ubuntu partition while networking.  Simply use Firestarter (the firewall program) to open up the ports for http, https, dhcp, and maybe SSH (if you're thinking of remoting to another computer) and you'll be all set.

I personally recommend Kubuntu, buts just personal preference... you're good to go either way.

As far as Vista goes for security, i've got agree about AVG/Spybot, but are you going to dual boot? If so, make sure you install windows first, otherwise it overwrites the boot partition and makes getting back into Linux a rather long process. If you are deciding to go one way or the other, then i would advise going for Linux except if you are a big gaming fan... (although i have WoW etc running in linux)

As for updates, in (k)ubuntu - theres a config file call /etc/apt/sources.list

When the next version is released, you just edit that file and string replace "feisty" with "gutsy", and then apt-get dist-upgrade ... its as simple as that.

As for updates, in (k)ubuntu - theres a config file call /etc/apt/sources.list

When the next version is released, you just edit that file and string replace "feisty" with "gutsy", and then apt-get dist-upgrade ... its as simple as that.

Ooh, interesting.  I've read that either 7.10 or 8.04 will be LTS, so I'll try that trick when it comes out.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.