Your advice

dual_alliance

So I'm at the point where I've been learning PHP for 3 years now and wondering whether or not to become a full time programmer.

I've been searching the Internet for business' looking for programmers, out of many l've looked at only a very small few require a computer science degree (which would be needed to become a system's administrator anyway)

Except I'm one that doesn't really enjoy school and the homework that comes with it.  What qualifications do you have?  Would you recommend to stick with school and get the computer science degree or quit school and do specific courses related to programming?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Except I'm one that doesn't really enjoy school and the homework that comes with it.  What qualifications do you have?  Would you recommend to stick with school and get the computer science degree or quit school and do specific courses related to programming?

What do you enjoy doing more, systems administration or scripting PHP? I personally don't have any level of education relative to a degree - Just nine GCSEs and two A-Levels. Of course, you don't have to join a company as a programmer - You could always go freelance, then it's more about a portfolio than a CV.

Well, here is what you got.  I'm a computer science major and we get to learn ONE programming language....Java.  Guess what....I already taught myself Java. Everything else is Algorithms, Data Structures and Mining, Calc. 1-4, and a Capstone.  Pretty much pointless, but i get to go for free, and I don't mind the homework/school work because I balance it out with all the college parties. 

Everything else is Algorithms, Data Structures and Mining

IMO it's this underlying knowledge that gives those with a CS degree the upper-hand.

I would say if you're young, have the time, and can afford it, then you should suffer through college.  Going to college never hurt anyone and the worst it does is give you more options when applying for a job.  In general, a college degree looks good.  More specifically, if all you know is web stuff, that's all you can really work in.  I happen to do web stuff too, but if I decided to program something else I have a better chance of getting my foot in the door than someone who doesn't have a degree, granted it will probably be entry-level position for that field.

College is mostly BS though; I hated almost every moment of it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.