[SOLVED] dual booting XP and Ubuntu 5.10

~n[EO]n~

Hi all ,

I tried to install ubuntu 5.10 on my existing XP but could not succeed.

Anyone got nice links how to setup ubuntu with windows xp. I need to install ubuntu on my e drive.

Thanks.

p.s the links found in ubuntu forum and other site did not work for me, i didn't understand the linux terms  :(

All you need do is boot the Ubuntu cd in expert mode, when you get to the part about 'partitioning' make your E drive (probably hda2) the / partition.

Ubuntu's installing should automatically discover your XP install in hda1 and will automatically add it to your boot menu (grub).

Thanks for the response. I just want to know how to find I am in expert mode, the boot screen comes and there is lot of infos (f2..f7) and it is also written there you can install in Normal and Expert mode.

I just want to find that "Expert mode" then I think my problem will be solved.  ;D

Thanks again..

Off the top of my head (and this is from Debian, not Ubuntu) when you get the first prompt, type....

boot expert

I think F2 gives you instructions. I know for a fact that Ubuntu does give you instructions, it is one of the easiest distros around really.

Installing an older version probably isn't a good idea really. As soon as you do your first...

apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

The entire system (at least anything that is out of date) will be downloaded piece by piece. its always best to install from the most current image available. If you've got a spare few dollars its usually easiest to get yourself to a newsagent and by a Linux mag that has the distro you won't on the cover.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.