my poor cat

kellz

some moron run over my cat, it was such a cute cat! it was all black and only 3 months old, found it laying dead on the road, it was so horrible picking her up  :'( she had a brother, he was black aswell and they both had these big cute blue eye's and always played and slept together, now he has no sister and looks for her and meow's allot .. he's always sitting by the cat flap waiting for her, its so sad! I know sometimes drivers don't have time to break (and most don't even bother) but they could atleast stop and take the cat off the road after killing it, maybe its still alive.. when i found her she was still really warm so it must have been just minutes before i found her  :'(

:( sorry to hear that too, thankfully I live in a cul-de-sac so my cats don't need to worry about traffic too much but it must be real hard losing a pet in such circumstances, especially with a sibling in mourning.

As one who's lost many cats, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm a cat person.  I can't remember a time growing up that we didn't have at least one cat but we often had as many as five.  I grew up by a hilly area so most of our cats just disappeared, probably to predators like coyotes and mountain lions.  I don't think we ever had a cat that lived longer than 5 years.

Now I own my own place with my fiance and we have two cats; the story of how we got them is rather funny and I can elaborate on it if anyone wishes.  Anyways, I still live nearby where I grew up and I know how dangerous it is for them to be going in and out of the house, so they're indoor cats.  They often sit at the window or sliding door and look out, sometimes I put a leash one one of them and let them wander around in the grass outside.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My fiance is from the Philippines, where cats are mostly seen as giant, disease-carrying, food-stealing rats; there are many, many stray and wild cats there.  When I first mentioned the idea of getting a cat, she rejected it.  She continually rejected the idea.  Sometimes when we were out I'd take her into a pet store so we could watch the kittens if they had any, but most pet stores in So. Cal. no longer have open pens where you can pet them.  My parents live in Oxnard, which is still So. Cal. but a bit further North; once while visiting them my mom said there was a pet store that had a huge kitten pen and you could pet them.  So we thought it would be a good idea to take her there so she could hold a kitten; she didn't like the idea but conceded to go along with it.

A quick aside: my younger brother is dating my fiance's younger sister; it's a little strange when most people hear it, but it makes family gatherings more fun.

So my dad, my mom, myself, my fiance, my brother, and the younger sister are all in the car on the way to the pet store.  "We're just going to see the kittens."  "No, we're not getting a cat."  "I promise."

We get to the pet store and go over to the kitten pen, on the way the younger sister is sidetracked by the shih tzu puppies.  Immediately she grabs one in a bear hug and her eyes light up.  The rest of us continue over to the kitten pen.

The gal that runs the pet adoption comes over and we explain my fiance's background and that she'd like to hold a kitten.  My fiance looks as if she's about to sky dive for the very first time; her face is complete worry.  The lady explains to us there is only one kitten old enough to be held (out of the 20 or so that were there), that she had recently been spayed, and was even ready to go home.  So here is my fiance sitting in a chair, the lady sets this kitten down in her lap, and my fiance has no idea what to do.  The kitten immediately tries to take off, but I stop it by putting my hand on its chest; I explain to my fiance how to do this.  Looking at her face, I see sheer terror and notice that she's shaking; psychologically, she feels like she's holding a rat that just crawled out of the sewer.  She pets the cat briefly, holds it a little more, and then gives it over to me; her total time with the kitten, less than one minute.  She wants to leave the store.

But I haven't held a cat in years, let alone a kitten.  So I sit down with it for a bit.  My fiance wanders off to find her sister, who is now in a puppy play pen with the shih tzu she had originally grabbed.  The lady that runs the adoption comes over and starts talking to me.  She says that in order to adopt a pet we have to fill out paper work and it usually takes a day or two to approve people; I tell her we'll be leaving the next day and we live a few hours away.  The kitten is put away and I go to find everyone else, still with the puppy.

It is very obvious the younger sister is in love with this puppy; my brother, who has always loved dogs, is now playing with the puppy as well.  My fiance is distracted with watching her sister and my brother.  My mom and I start talking amongst ourselves about the kitten.  Unknown to my fiance, I wander off and fill out the kitten adoption paperwork.

Now remember, cats are disgusting, vicious, and scary animals in the mind of my fiance.  Up until that day, her imitation of a cat was a scratching and hissing animal, "We can't have a cat, it'll rip my face off *HISS* *HISS*"  She also always said things like, "I don't have time to take care of a cat," which I always thought funny considering how easy they are as pets.  The best one was, "I don't know if I can be a good kitty-mommy!"

So I've gone and filled out the paper work to adopt the kitten and am now looking at supplies that we'll need if we're approved; also keep in mind the lady had told me approval takes a day or two.  In all honesty I didn't expect what had happened next.  So I'm looking at the supplies, pricing things out, and finish.  I go back over to the puppy pen where everyone is and my fiance is crying.  I mean almost bawling.  Tears are all over her face and it's the most miserable I've ever seen her look since we started dating about 4 years earlier.

Me: "What the Hell happened?"

My Mom: "The lady came over and said you're approved, you can take the kitten home today."

Me:  "Wow!  Baby isn't that great news?"

Fiance: "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"

So now I go back over to putting the supplies into a shopping cart.  Eventually my brother joins me, only he's picking out dog stuff.

Me: "What's going on?"

Him: "Apparently we're getting a shih tzu."

Me: "You don't sound happy, I thought you liked dogs."

Him: "I do.  But all she's going to want to do is hug it; I'll have to do all the work."

Before we left the store, we took a couple pictures.  We took a picture of my fiance holding the cat carrier with the kitten in it; she is trying very hard to not look seriously depressed.  Then we have a picture of my brother holding his new shih tzu and he has annoyed written all over his face.  It's impossible to not look at those photos and not laugh.

Fast forward until the next day and my fiance and I are back home with our new kitten.  Our kitten is named Rita because the first thing my fiance did when we got back from the pet store is drink a margarita.  We're not sure how trained Rita is, so for the first night we lock her in a big crate with food, water, and a litter box.  She doesn't like the crate.  She latches onto the door, screams, shakes it, and is thoroughly displeased; this does not help in convincing my fiance that cats are sweet and loving animals.

In the morning, I see that the cat has used her box properly.  The next evening I figure she can roam loose in the condo.  We get into bed, the lights are off, the cat leaps into the bed and runs across my fiance.  My fiance screams in terror.  "It tried to attack me!"  "Baby cats are nocturnal, they play more at night."  She lies back down, the cat jumps back into bed, my fiance is trembling.  After 10 minutes of this, "I can't do it she can't stay in our bedroom."  I put the cat outside our bedroom door and shut the door; she sits at the door and screams, she shoves her paw under it and tries to open it.  Clearly this kitten does not like to be left alone.

The next evening we let the cat into our room and make it through the night.  My fiance didn't sleep very well, but she did better.

Eventually my fiance is no longer terrified of the cat.  She pets it, picks it up, and plays with it using cat toys.  She still thinks I'm crazy for letting it bite and scratch my hand; "Doesn't that hurt?"  "lol no, it tickles."  It took about two weeks for my fiance to work up the courage to tickle the cat's belly until it bit her.

Fast forward a few weeks, my fiance has gone to a coworker's baby shower.  There is a cat there that bee lines for my fiance.  Apparently the cat thinks she's a cat person.

Almost two months later, my fiance has warmed up to the cat.  She's starting to admit to herself how wildly wrong she was about them and that she might even be a cat person.  We're buying stuff at PetSmart and look at the cats they have.  We see these two snowshoe kittens that are 10 weeks old.  My fiance immediately decides that one of them is absolutely adorable.  We leave the store.  Throughout the next couple of days we talk about possibly adopting it.

Eventually I decide to do it, make the appointment, and pick the cat up on my way home from work.  I get home late, my fiance has been wondering what I was up to, and is happy when she sees the cat.  "I was hoping you were adopting him."

Now she loves them.  She buries her face in them and kisses them and Bandit (the lighter cat) is always on her lap.  Rita (the charcoal) is more independent, although she doesn't like to be left alone.  Rita is not cuddly but she will sit near you and follow you around.  Whenever the younger sister comes over, she is not scared of the cats.  When my fiance's older sister visits us, she is still terrified of the cats and screams whenever they get near her; my fiance now recognizes how silly that behavior looks over a cat.

Long story!

@roopurt have you been to Philippines?

I felt so evil when i heard your story like you said we treat cats as disease carrier.

In some province here in our place they eat cats they found it so yummy but for sure i wont eat cats.

Kind a funny because when you see street cats here in our place i dont think you need and sort of approval to adopt them.  adopt them as long as you want and have tons of cats in your house

will you love cat when it steal your foods? i mean one day i felt so hungry and i forgot to buy my drinks so left my foods on top of the table when and i arrive the only thing that is left is RICE what the hell am i going to do with rice alone i mean we don't eat here plain rice. so that's the story the cat gets full i get get so hungry

@teng84

Don't get me wrong, I understand the difference between wild and domesticated cats, even though a cat is never truly domesticated.  Wild cats are scary and dangerous; usually it's not a problem because they will avoid people but when cornered they'll scratch your face off.  I can imagine they're even more of a nuisance when they're not afraid to enter your kitchen and steal your food right off the counter.

I understand why she was afraid of them.  But on the reverse side, I grew up with cats and let them climb on top of my head and bite my nose and stuff.  So to see a grown adult (my fiance) trembling while holding a harmless little kitten is still funny, even if her behavior is justified.

And for the record, large populations of wild cats are disease carriers; most often such populations are exterminated in the U.S.  It just happens so quietly no one really gets a chance to hear about it.

:D

oops sorry i thought you treat all cat as domesticated.

YOU ARE bigger than those cats so no reason to be afraid

LOL i can't imagine seeing you guys running and screaming because of those cats.

this kind a weird have you seen rats chasing cats ?

when I was at the age of 10 we live in squatters area (depressed area ) i tried to

pet a cat to chase and eat those rats under our house but what should be my reaction

when i saw my cats running because of those rats (big rats)

Well, we always get stray kittens, and end up feeding them, and then turning them into house cats.  We had four, but one got ran over.  Now we have three:

Mignon (Or Kitter) Pronounced Me-non

Hurley (Like the clothes/skate brand)

Gizmo (Gizzy)

Yeah, we love our cats. Granted I'm in college, three hours from home, and never get to see them. :(

Considerin KELLZ lies about her age (14yo) ...More like a 40yo COP!!

I wouldnt believe her about this either.

I don't know what your obsession is with kellz and the cop thing, but leave it alone.

I agree with neylitalo, you need to back off.  Whether the OP is  what she says or not, it is not your place to interupt a perfectly legit topic on cats.  How would you like to be in her position?  Maybe we should start calling you TROLL or FLAMER or some other name every time you post.

Just back off!

I know what its like to lose animals. I had a dog (Blackie, very original, I know) that I had since I was 8.  He was a Black Lab/Great Dane mix.  He was a big dog.  When I was 18 I went away to school and he was left in the care of some "friends".  They didn't take very good care of him and he died.  I was devastated.

I have also grown up in a house that ALWAYS has animals . . . dogs, cats, or fish.  The fish never lasted long.  We have had 3 dogs total, Blackie being mine, and too many cats to count.

It is hard to lose animals.  Especially when you are very attached.

40 years old? lol thats older than my mother!!

I'm in germany now, i looooove it here! i guess i might get another cat if my mother allows it..

anyhoo i cant post here much for the next weeks, im enjoying my holiday :P CHRISTMAS SOOOON!!!!!! so happy xmas people and thx for the replies!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.