Very Limited Modification Time On A Post

Does anyone else notice a very limited amount of modification time on their post; like less then 3 minutes? What's up with that; some of us make errors we need to correct. :D It used to be allot longer time then that. I have noticed for at least the past week; it is been an unlimited amount of modification time on a post. Is this an error that is trying to be corrected and this is the end results?

Missed the sticky and I'm not a fan of the preview button, but thanks for the reply.

Also if people can edit/add content to a specific post; it will be less data contained in your databases and that will be less of a drag on your servers.

if people took notice of the stickies, and did use the preview button, THAT would be less of a drag on the servers ;)

the limit on post editing has far less problems than unlimited time - notably people destroying content, editing posts after replies hence making the topic make no sense, and many other reasons, etc etc

Missed the sticky and I'm not a fan of the preview button, but thanks for the reply.

Also if people can edit/add content to a specific post; it will be less data contained in your databases and that will be less of a drag on your servers.

if people took notice of the stickies, and did use the preview button, THAT would be less of a drag on the servers ;)

the limit on post editing has far less problems than unlimited time - notably people destroying content, editing posts after replies hence making the topic make no sense, and many other reasons, etc etc

the time limit itself is not a bad idea; but give people time to correct issues (at least 5 minutes) and if some decided to remove content that they posted it should be up to them; that's their right, it's content they posted.

the time limit itself is not a bad idea; but give people time to correct issues (at least 5 minutes) and if some decided to remove content that they posted it should be up to them; that's their right, it's content they posted.

Technically, the content belongs to PHP Freaks. Every bit of helpful content is important, and we need to preserve as much as possible of it. (We can't be held liable for the content, but it still belongs to us - pretty neat, right? :) )

Very seriously though, we had big problems in the past, and setting the time limit solved those problems. Unfortunately, the best I can do is tell you that I will ask the administrators to consider extending the time limit. (It's possible that they'll try it, but I can't guarantee anything.) I realize that the short time limit has problems, and I really wish that weren't the case, but we have to choose between making things less comfortable for the readers and moderators, and making things less comfortable for the writers.

Regarding posting multiple times: We understand that it's not always possible to add an extra bit of information before the two minutes are up, and we aren't irrational people. If you need to, feel free to make an additional post - the one above is fine, for example. There are a few conditions where multiple posts aren't appreciated, but these conditions are in the extremes. Duplicating posts and only changing a word or two, or posting ten times in a row are examples of situations that are likely to irritate people.

Technically, the content belongs to PHP Freaks. Every bit of helpful content is important, and we need to preserve as much as possible of it. (We can't be held liable for the content, but it still belongs to us - pretty neat, right? :) )

That might be up for a legal debate - depends on the content - lol - :D

But all-in-all I get the method behind the madness; so to speak :D

That might be up for a legal debate - depends on the content

Actually, it doesn't.  If you post something that is copyrighted on here, that's your fault, not ours.  We have the right to remove that information, but we also have the right to retain it.  Bottom line of it is, you're the one that has to be careful.

And I'm glad you understand our reasoning.  I will bring a vote to the other mods and admins to consider increasing the time limit to maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

I recall a recent thread where the OP went back and changed the code in the first post based on the first few replies that were posted. This made the people trying to help look like fools because their comments no longer had anything to do with what the code in the first post looked like.

The forum "seemed" to operate for a time like you could edit a post up to the time that someone added a post after yours. If this mode is available, it would "lock" in what the OP posted once he got a reply and stop the changing code and questions that get removed once an answer is given.

Actually, it doesn't.  If you post something that is copyrighted on here, that's your fault, not ours.  We have the right to remove that information, but we also have the right to retain it.  Bottom line of it is, you're the one that has to be careful.

I wasn't speaking of myself in general; I speaking of any user who post none open source code; the end results (if the author finds out about it) is someone (either the admin or the member) would have to remove the content or possibly face legal provisions.

And I'm glad you understand our reasoning.  I will bring a vote to the other mods and admins to consider increasing the time limit to maybe 3 or 4 minutes.

cool beans brother :D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.