[SOLVED] General Language Questions

I have been through a lot lately.  I went from freelancing, into finding a friends with lot's of experience.  He got me on a long term contract for a high level app creation I could do from home (with him acting as primary developer).  Over the course of the last 10 months, I have pretty much dug deeply into things I never knew before.  Learning PHP to the point where I felt I was ready to start delving into some new languages on the side.  He even helped get me to the point under desktop app's where I can start writing some basic apps in otehr languages.  Well it's come time for me to decide on a few things and I wanted some feedback.

I have always programming in dreamweave.

So far every language I needed was inside of dreamweaver there with mini-reference system that I could get into as needed.  It also had basic layouts for each page (like if you chose html it'll put all the basic's in there, same for xml, php, asp, and whatever other languages I have needed so far.  It even helped me the few times I needed to get into cold fusion.  So now, I am starting to look at some of these higher end languages.

Delphi, C++, .net related programming languages (heavy asp, asp.net, c#, and similiar languages), java programming, python, perl, and a few of the other languages that were related.

I am the exploring type.  So I expect to be jumping around testing languages a little here and there.

Well what I am tryign to figure out now is there a way to setup dreamweaver to work well with these other languages (C++ and delphi especially).  I want to set stuff up but I am going crazy trying to decide over dreamweaver CS3 which is what I have used for the longest (cs2 before that) or go ahead and start using an editor with built in compiler (kind of like visual C++ 2008 or something).  Pretty much I see a lot of things in visual basics 2008 for c++ I don't see

* Really good C++ syntax highlighting

* Built in function reference

* Built in compiler.

I could just use it, but then I might decide I feel like doing some python later, or some delphi.  I don't really want 5-8 different editors, one for each and every language I want to play with and potentially learn.  Is there a way I can modify dreamweaver to use those languages, or what do you use for your C++ programming that you can still use for your other programmign.  I went through many editors for awhile trying to find something better than dreamweaver that suited what I wanted, but so far could find nothing.

Over the course of the last 10 months, I have pretty much dug deeply into things I never knew before.  Learning PHP to the point where I felt I was ready to start delving into some new languages on the side

I've been programming for almost twenty years (Perl/C/JavaScript/etc.), and I haven't even come close to "that point".

I have always programming in dreamweave.

*shudder*

I use UltraEdit, one of the most powerful editors around; that being said, it's not an IDE, though you can easily compile source code with a bit of magic.  Check out v14... incredible.  I've been using it forever.

How are you with overall programming concepts? Knowing a language has nothing to do with good programming in and of itself. A programmer can know every aspect of a language and still write a sloppy, unscalable, inefficient, and bug-littered application. Knowing a language may not make one a better programmer, but knowing programming may make one a better learner of languages. It's not what you can use, but how you can use it.

I am better at maintainable code.  I have learnt to use both cake, and code ignitor as advised awhile back.

I have also learnt OOP, and I write in it regularly now.  Almost all of my general programming ends up being object oriented now.  Naming conventions, clean programming, modularity.  General programming concepts.  I have had a decent amount of experience with each.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.