A real man's keyboard

neylitalo

When my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard started randomly mis-firing keycodes and I needed a quick replacement, I went to walmart and bought a $20 "elite internet" piece of junk. It will hold me over until payday, but until then, I'm stuck with this thing that sounds like a typewriter and feels about as sturdy as the cardboard box it came in.

The Logitech and Microsoft multimedia/internet keyboards are quite prevalent, but I'm of the opinion that there has to be something better. I do a lot of programming, and a lot of typing in general, so keep that in mind. Now, for the fun part: I also have two requirements that a lot of keyboards fall short on (including this one).

• Backslash CANNOT be directly left of backspace. It must be between the enter key and backspace. My little finger just doesn't naturally reach far enough to hit a one-key-width backspace. (Backspace should also be two key-widths wide.)
  • The block of keys with Home, End, et. al., should be arranged in two rows of three keys, not three rows of two keys. This is the desired (pretty standard, I believe) layout:

Insert    Home    PgUp
Delete    End     PgDn

I also want something that will last, so I would especially like you to chime in if you've got a particular model that you have consistently good luck with.

And if you have something sitting on your desk that's obscure, unique, or fun in some other regard, feel free to contribute.

Oh, and one last note: I want a keyboard. Not a keyboard with detachable numpad and LCD screen and separate unit for gaming keys. :)

Backslash CANNOT be directly left of backspace. It must be between the enter key and backspace. My little finger just doesn't naturally reach far enough to hit a one-key-width backspace. (Backspace should also be two key-widths wide.)

Sounds like you want a UK keyboard! The backslash is pretty much always left of z, and backspace is a double key. And the Insert, Delete etc keys are pretty much always layed out 3x2.

No, it's definitely a US layout I want, but unfortunately, there are two popular US layouts. One where backslash/pipe is horizontally between backspace and +/=, and one where backslash is vertically between backspace and enter. (The former layout usually involves a 2-column, 3-row layout of Insert, Delete, etc., and the latter usually has three columns with two rows.)

You want the Logitech Wave. the way the keyboard curves, or waves, makes it easy to reach all the keys while still being in the standard typing position.  It also has the proper elevation and a comfort rest to elevate the hands.  http://www.thinkcomputers.org/index.php?x=reviews&id=698

i use it and i LOVE it!

Best keyboard I've ever owned:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109026

Pros:

•  
  • Curved design

• Cheap

• Full sized arrow keys

• No F-Lock key (I hate the bastard that invented that)

• Meets your requirements as far as I can tell

Cons:

•  
  • I can only use one at a time

I used to be a big gamer, MMOs for the most part, and I would bind stuff to the function keys.  Well then they started coming out with f-lock keyboards and it'd screw up the function key binds in games, so I immediately hated any keyboard with one of those.  I require all of my keyboards to be curved or split design; while this one isn't a total split, it's curved enough that it's just right.  Way, way, way back I had a MS split keyboard with mini arrow keys that I absolutely hated; who puts the arrow keys in 3 rows?  The keyboard is responsive and works well.

Also, I don't use wireless keyboards or mice, so the fact that it's wired also isn't a problem for me.

As far as something that will last, with a keyboard this cheap, as long as it makes it 6 months to a year you're still coming out ahead of these $70 keyboards I see (which are utter crap IMO).

The first one of these I bought at Frys on the spot when I saw it.  In fact I loved it so much that I bought two, just in case one broke and I wouldn't be able to find it again.

If you have a frys nearby they still usually stock them, so you can test it out first.

have this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126179

The only problem is it has 1 thing you don't want (LCD Screen) but the screen does show useful info, such as: CPU/RAM percentages, Audio info and controls (Artist, length played etc.), POP3 Email and some other things.

on the left it has 18*3 programable keys (Macros and/or shortcut keys)

Another awesome feature is that the keys are lit, 3 modes low, hi, off.

I own this one:

http://www.virtual-hideout.net/reviews/Enermax_Aurora/

But in silver.

It may seem a bit sober (that's the way I like though), but typing on it is a pleasure, every single time. Instead of your regular rubber pad, it has sort of a scissor mechanism, which makes for superb keystrokes.

Best keyboard I ever owned. Don't but it for the ports though, they suck.

I'd seen this keyboard before, and never seriously considered it. But on the website, they compare it to the "legendary IBM model M" - a legendary keyboard? I did a bit of research on the model M, and found an actual cult following. (Not something common with keyboards.) There's even a website dedicated to the sale of these keyboards.

And as luck would have it, I had a model M in a pile of broken computer stuff at home (I think I need to throw some stuff out), and after trying it for a few seconds, I was sold. Smooth keypresses and the curvature of the board make for an awesome experience - I highly recommend it to everybody. :) Unfortunately, the model M has been discontinued, and a model M in good shape can easily fetch 50 USD on ebay. (These keyboards are from the late 1980's and early 1990s. That's saying something.)

I hear that universities throw these babies out left and right, so I'm going to head down to the university and see if I can't find one (or a dozen) in the garbage pile of the computer science building. If not, I think I'll spend the $50 on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd seen this keyboard before, and never seriously considered it. But on the website, they compare it to the "legendary IBM model M" - a legendary keyboard? I did a bit of research on the model M, and found an actual cult following. (Not something common with keyboards.) There's even a website dedicated to the sale of these keyboards.

And as luck would have it, I had a model M in a pile of broken computer stuff at home (I think I need to throw some stuff out), and after trying it for a few seconds, I was sold. Smooth keypresses and the curvature of the board make for an awesome experience - I highly recommend it to everybody. :) Unfortunately, the model M has been discontinued, and a model M in good shape can easily fetch 50 USD on ebay. (These keyboards are from the late 1980's and early 1990s. That's saying something.)

I hear that universities throw these babies out left and right, so I'm going to head down to the university and see if I can't find one (or a dozen) in the garbage pile of the computer science building. If not, I think I'll spend the $50 on eBay.

I'll have to chime up on this one. The model M *is* the keyboard to own if you could ever own only one keyboard. It's heft is enough to be lethal if used as weapon, this click is loud enough to wait gofers in the next cubicle, it's lacking those pesky windows buttons tuckd between the ctrl and alt buttons, has a ps/2 connector, etc. etc. I've own several of these over these over the years and absolutely love them. Wish I could get my hands on another. It truely is a man's keyboard.

My second pick would be the MCK142. Don't be fooled by it being advertised as a CAD/CAM keyboard, I've used it from programming to MMORPGing! It's easy to program (tap a few keys, type, tap a key). The model I had the same click as the IBM Model M, weighed about half as much as one, and used a couple AAA batteries to keep the programmable keys in memory.

YMMV,

CW

Note: IBM sold it keyboard division to Lexmark which split off to a company named Unicomp. Still in business. Still making a quieter version of the Model M in USB or PS2 version.

I may have to snag one to see for myself.

I just learned this today. :) And in my search for a keyboard, I actually ran across their website, but decided against it after comparing their prices to the ones I could get on eBay. I got two 1994 Model M's for $10 apiece. They're technically "Made by Lexmark for IBM", but that's good enough for me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.