phpfreaks permission

Stooney

I'm thinking about throwing together a simple site based on posts from this forums.  It will basically be a site where you can search an issue (by keywords, phrases, etc) and it will show the original question/issue and relevant/helpful replies.  All of the information would come from these forums.  For example:

Jimmy doesn't understand why echo 'That's my dog';  doesn't work.  People would reply saying to escape the single quote in That's. 

I would take the issue and the response that helped most (or all of them if they each offered different ideas) and put it in the 'list'. 

I'm just curious if it would be allowed for me to use the information off these forums.  What would be required?

Note:  I would copy all of the data onto my own site in order to clean up the thread (relevant stuff only) and so I'm not stealing bandwidth.  I would probably have a link to the original post though.

Thanks.

1) We're not going to give you the data

2) We'll find out if you decide to just take it

3) Why would you duplicate the information?  That seems inefficient when someone can just come here and search or post their own question.

The whole idea seems like a waste of time.

phpfreaks doesn't want to share their popularity i guess that the whole point instead of coming into your site to get all this data freaks would rather get visited by this users!

I believe that chrisburns has good intention in doing this I would also think to choose the best topic in this forum and put it into the site which can help lot of people.

But mods said NO and its their right..

Good luck ,i think better to just search for the best topic and get the whole idea and write your own explanation and understanding about that topic ;)

The whole idea seems like a waste of time.

What would it matter if it wasn't your time being wasted? 

We'll find out if you decide to just take it

I'm not here to steal, hence this post.

Why would you duplicate the information?

Duplication with the sole purpose to clean and organize it.  Searching forums alone isn't always the best.  You run into unanswered threads and threads without the best answers.

Anyways, never mind.

I have to agree with Ober on this. It just doesn't make sense.  What you're really trying to create is some type of FAQ, but a user would have a much better experience reading a vast forum or even posting in their own thread for personal attention.  You are trying to somehow harvest data from this site for your own purposes which doesn't really make much sense.

Any use of our information on your site, without permission, is copyright infringement.  Also, if you start downloading the site using automated scripts, it will slow our servers down, and Eric will just block you using a firewall and all your hard work will be shot.  So in essence, no you do not have our permission.  End of discussion.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.