Can't connect to MySQL server???

Rishele

I'm trying to install a Sign-up & Log-in Script on my website using PHP and MySQL.  I am a complete newbie at PHP and MySQL but I'm trying to follow the tutorial given.  I created the files and uploaded them to my server but I'm getting this error message.

Could not connect to mysql because Can't connect to MySQL server on 'hollamagazineonline.com' (61)

This is the tutorial I am following....  http://www.xentrik.net/php/signup/index.php

I reallyyyyyy need this to work so I will appreaciate any and all help!!  Thanks!

I am a complete newbie at PHP and MySQL but I'm trying to follow the tutorial
Cool. So you you don't know anything about PHP/MySQL, you want to get started though? The link posted above is a good place to start.

i have a deadline of tomorrow night
Huh? What are you talking about? Do you mean that you told somebody that you know PHP/MySQL when you don't, and you're asking them to pay you?

It's generally a bad idea to get a job that you can't do.

Apologize to him, and once you have learned PHP/MySQL, THEN ask for a job.

The clue is in the error message

Could not connect to mysql because Can't connect to MySQL server on 'hollamagazineonline.com'

You can't connect to the MySQL server. I'm guessing that you're attemping to connect to a MySQL server located on the domain "hollamagazineonline.com" but it would appear that that server doesn't allow MySQL connections, either because it's ported blocked or because MySQL doesn't exist on that machine.

It might also be helpful if you provided the code you are using to connect to the server in question (blurring out sensitive information obviously).

• 4 weeks later...

i have a deadline of tomorrow night
Huh? What are you talking about? Do you mean that you told somebody that you know PHP/MySQL when you don't, and you're asking them to pay you?

It's generally a bad idea to get a job that you can't do.

Apologize to him, and once you have learned PHP/MySQL, THEN ask for a job.

This is not a paid job, it's a favor.  I had no idea that it would be so difficult.  I thought by following the tutorials would make it fairly simple, but I'm mistaken.   

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.