insert mysql LIMIT?

johnseito

is there an limit amt of data that insert into mysql at once?

Such as this code:

PHP Code:

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day')"); 

If i add more field would there be a problem? It seem like it is because when I add more field it won't insert any data.

Thanks

feel free to add as many recrods as you like

use () for each record and seperate records by , so

VALUES('name', 'last', 'gender', 'month', 'day'), ('name', 'last', 'gender', 'month', 'day'), ('name', 'last', 'gender', 'month', 'day')

ofcourse don't use the same variable as it will dublicate the same record several times...

use () for each record and seperate records by , so

it seems you did this for every 5 records, and you didn't include $ sign infront of each variable.

it's just an example, I did told you not to use the same variable as it will dublicate the record... you may have some variables like $name1, $name2 or an array $name[0], $name[1] ( in this case you can use a for() loop )

and make sure not to add , after the last record ;)

$count = count($firstname);
$query = "INSERT INTO `register`(`firstname`, `lastname`, `gender`, `month`, `day`) VALUES";

for ($i=0; $i<$count; $i++) {
$query .= "('$firstname[$i]', '$lastname[$i]', '$gender[$i]', '$month[$i]', '$day[$i]')";  // adding records

// if not the last record, then add a ", "...
if ($i < ($count-1)) {
	$query .= ", ";
}
}

echo $query;

I did that:

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day')");  

mysql_query("insert into register(year, country, address, State, postal) values('$year', '$country', '$address', '$state', '$postal')"); 

and it doesn't work, it doesn't enter more that 5 data fields at the same time.

are you doing this:

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day, newfield) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day', '$newfield')"); 

or

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day newfield) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day' '$newfield')"); 

eg the ,

easy mistake but noone has mentioned it so i thought i would say

jsut incase...

cheers

Xajel

$count = count($firstname);

$query = "INSERT INTO `register`(`firstname`, `lastname`, `gender`, `month`, `day`) VALUES";

for ($i=0; $i<$count; $i++) {

$query .= "('$firstname[$i]', '$lastname[$i]', '$gender[$i]', '$month[$i]', '$day[$i]')";  // adding records

// if not the last record, then add a ", "...

if ($i < ($count-1)) {

$query .= ", ";

}

}

echo $query;

I think your code is not doing what I want, it seems your code is adding more records with the same amt of data field.  <b>What I want to do is add more fields besides the 5 fields I have, then add more record to those fields</b>.  when I add an extra field, say the 6th field, it doesn't insert any data into mysql.

Posted by: azfar siddiqui

Insert Quote

I just separate the records with a comma and surrounded brackets... I have used it several times...

Could you show me an example of what you mean?

blueman378

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day newfield) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day' '$newfield')");

The only difference with this code and the other code you have is that this one has <b> day newfield</b> and for this one you didn't have a comma. isn't this a mistake?

so to answer your question i am doing this

mysql_query("insert into register(firstname, lastname, gender, month, day, newfield) values('$firstname', '$lastname', '$gender', '$month', '$day', '$newfield')");

thx

If your database isn't set up with a column to hold that information, you can't do it. And if it is set up with a column, you have to list that column in the first part of your query where you list the column names.

Ok, I create a table like this in mysql

PHP Code:

create table test(
day tinyint(2),
year int(4)); 

and I create a form with this two fields and fill in the form, all, or one of the fields and leave one blank. It seems that fill all of them works and the info gets insert into the database, but if i were to fill one field and leave one blank it doesn't work, the info doesn't get inserted into the database. Any idea why?

Thanks

You have to write your insert statement like this:

"INSERT INTO table (variable1, variable2) VALUES ('value1', "")"

You cant leave one blank altogether, you have to at least tell it to insert an empty value. The number of fields in the first set of brackets has to match the number of fields in the second set of brackets.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.