my first reviewed site..

Jocka

I've been on here for a while and never had a site i've done been reviewed. HA!

Anyway. This isn't an entire site just yet. What I was asked to do here was create something simple but with advanced user friendly controls. They basically didn't want an imaged template but they didn't want it to be just text and colors either.

There's just one page so far. It's sort of a test page based on the idea of what we're going to do with this. What they want to do is create office pages for each office they have and use a single picture (link in the link supplied) to give information based on who the mouse is over.

Just give me a review. Any comments and suggestions will be taken into consideration.

http://s88392010.onlinehome.us/esp/espindex.php

Its not too bad. Fairly ok to good.

Just a few things:
Headings - you need to make better use of <h1> <h2> tags etc in your pages. In the body of text in the front page - you need a heading. Is the front page an "About Us" page? If so - put the heading there in a styled <h1> tag.

Your image div is placed randomly there on the right. Either move it to the top right or somewhere a little more strategically placed. Also this image is a little big.
Also this image div needs a little more styling IMO. The text, or title of image text needs some padding at the very least. I would like to see a nice styled image div with styled title text. Also the arrow on a:hover for the navigation is a little too much. Its not needed. I know you can do it and prob spent ages getting it to work.

Depending on how many pages/tabs you will have in your navigation - I would stretch it more vertically. It currently looks a little cramped. 5px more padding in each tab would help - and a better font also for the heading "Navigation" which is a bit redundant of a title.

The header image - is a little offputting - but I'll leave it at that.

-steve

Alright. Made some changes.

1. I didn't really know where to put a header at and how to make it look right so I'm skipping this for now (although I do agree).
2. I set the image DIV to the top right. Sizing down the image is easy however I'm on someone else's computer right now so that has to wait.
3. I took the text out from underneath the image. After talking it over with the boss, we decided that we would instead create individual pictures for the staff. Therefor this text under the picture is no longer needed (nor is the image map)
4. The arrow did take a while lol. But I didn't feel it was needed either. I just wanted to give the page an interactive feel to it. I'll take it off for now  (and only put back if requested by my boss).
5. I added padding to the tabs/links to stretch it out more. I thought they were too bunched together also but with very few links, there isn't a lot I could do with it.
6. What's wrong with "Navigation"? lol. I used that on alot of my sites. What's a better word to use to tell the users "Heres some link now get moving"
7. I changed the font on navigation to courier new and set it to bold (just to make it look better).

Take a look at what I have now and give more suggestions. I'm taking all of this to the higher ups this afternoon (in like.. 30 minutes)

Okay, well... I have a response for your answer to #6
[quote]What's wrong with "Navigation"? lol. I used that on alot of my sites. What's a better word to use to tell the users "Heres some link now get moving"[/quote]
I honestly wouldn't put anything there, the user knows if they want to go to "Offices" that they will probably need to click the work "Offices"

Speaking of the menu, I really don't like the font that is being used. It seems, pixelated almost... I don't know how to describe it. Play around with the fonts there.

With the "Be a partner" image, the hand cursor does not appear (at least on FF2.0)... check into that.

I'm not sure how you are setting up your pages, but I would recommend including a CSS file with all the styles, so its easier to tweak small things on all of the pages instead of going to each page and editing it. (or you might be having one page with a bunch of includes in php - which works too) Also, you're using tables... nothing wrong with that, but check into CSS and its functions. I used to love tables to make my webpages, and I learned how to use CSS, and it seems a lot more efficient when coding.

I do like the dashed border, that adds a nice touch. You are on the right track, just a few minor details, and you should be set :D

i've been studying css because I've been told many times that it's better to convert all tables to css.

I have one php file with all the CSS in it. I through most of this together in like 2 hours yesterday. I only had one page and yesterday I turned that one page into the rest.

The "Become A Partner" section. I forgot to add an actual link there. Right now it's just an "onclick" function on the table itself.

The font looks a little off to me but the boss said that he liked it so I'm leaving it alone (although again, I DO agree)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.