Adding a ">" to links on hover

Styles2304

What you are looking for isn't done with css.

All css can do is change the "STYLE" of a hover to be different from the non-hover state's style (background image/color, borders size/color, font size/color/family/weight/italics/underline/etc).

CSS cannot add new html or new text to the markup. CSS isn't a coding "language", it is merely the way to style elements without doing it in the body markup (as recommended in the html 4.01 spec).

It should have been "hover over a link" but if it's not CSS . . . it would have been helpful to be pointed in the right direction. But uh . . .yeah, it can: a:hover:before { content: "\003E \0020"; } Check it out. Doesn't work in IE though . . . any suggestions?

CSS cannot add new html or new text to the markup. CSS isn't a coding "language

Okay, let me rephrase that:

CSS isn't a coding "language". And except for a few very limited pseudo elements, that are not supported by IE, should not be considered a means to add dynamic content to markup.

The pseudo elements before and after are something I would neither have suggested nor ever mentioned to someone as being viable "dynamic content" input.  Mostly, but not limited to, because NO IE supports it.

The same way I never recommend anyone use XHTML - because of browser mime-type issues.

What you want CAN be done with javascript (I personally steer clear of javascript, so you should try the javascript threads - next thread down from CSS).

Doesn't work in IE though . . . any suggestions?

It doesn't work in IE because it isn't supported. There is nothing wrong with using css that doesn't work in IE if it is just for minor decorative details - :after and :before are good examples and sometimes used to insert a middle dot between links or quotation marks around a quote. However, sounds like you need to use a background image rather than insert markup on hover.

However, sounds like you need to use a background image rather than insert markup on hover.

That, of course, is the best "CSS" solution.

But,as you asked:

It should have been "hover over a link" but if it's not CSS . . . it would have been helpful to be pointed in the right direction.

I pointed you to the non-css solution.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.