[SOLVED] virtualisation

jaymc

I'm going to be buying some monster servers soon with intension of partitioning the hardware to run multiple instances of centos, hence virtual

I've used vmware but its rather pricey. I've heard of xen which is free.

Has anyone successfully used this? If I'm looking to save on the dollar but still have a good setup what should I be looking into.

Thanks

I've been using openVZ at home for quite some time. My hired VPS's also are built using openVZ. I had allot of trouble getting a working kernel going with the xen patches, openVZ was a breeze. I was even able to set it up on my desktop machine here at home.

Its easy to configure, and has all the features you would need including a nice setup script vzsplit where you tell it how many vps's your planning on building and it will query your memory and create a nice default configuration.

I was able to get about 6 machines running on my old 2.4Ghz with 512Mg memory. Recently I bought a dual core 3Ghz machine with 8G of memory, I'm still in the process of setting it all up but expect to be able to run upwards of 40 vps's.

Im a big Xen fan.

If you use Debian/Ubuntu, its a walk in the park to setup Xen.

If your buying hardware/cpu's, make sure they have virtualisation support built in.

Why do I like Xen....well 100's of reasons:

Using munin, I can monitor each part of a virtual instance (memory,cpu,traffic etc.). See:

http://muninexchange.projects.linpro.no/?search=&cid=0&os%5B4%5D=on&os%5B7%5D=on&os%5B3%5D=on&os%5B2%5D=on&os%5B5%5D=on&os%5B8%5D=on&os%5B1%5D=on&os%5B6%5D=on&pid=39

There is something called xen-shell which will give a user console access to their virtual machine.

http://www.xen-tools.org/software/xen-shell/

It comes with a number of networking options built in. Either create a private army of xen vm's or use bridged networking to give each one a public ip etc.

Of course there are loads of other options and there are the downsides.

Here is my how-to on installing xen:

http://wiki.kartbuilding.net/index.php/Debian_Etch_Xen_Install

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.