2nd try

dare87

The only thing i like in there is the logo, but im not even sure u did it yourself. What i thought first was that u just got photoshop and learnt how to use the evil "bevel and emboss". It was a good tool when it was discovered, but now...i dont think so. Im not so enthusiast about the colors too, they are kinda boring.

And "Designed for IE7 and FF2" at the footer? Ure telling your users that they should concern on what browser they have and about javascript. Ure telling them to go away if they're on safari or opera. It isnt difficult to make your site compatible for those browsers, probably u wont change anything.

In conclusion, the site is pretty old-fashioned on graphics. I'd completely redesign it.

Well, I think it's a really good start. The logo is really good.  The colors I like for this type of site.  However, as GuiltyGear suggested, the bevel and emboss of the left nav buttons could be improved.  And the design thing at the bottom should be removed (designed for ie and ff).  You shouldn't have to tell users what browser the site works well with, you should should be able to design the site for whatever browser.

Suggestions:

- Make the logo smaller, it's a bit overpowering

- Make the footer linear rather than vertical

- For the green area around the main content, use a soft line gradient (don't know what to call it)

- remove the bevel curves around the left hand buttons.  Try to come up with something better

Overall, it looks good.  Some tweaks here and there and I think it will look really good.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind the bevels.  I like them on the main box of your site... nicely rendered. I would like to see some onhover and selected changes on your menu though.... that's just what I like though.

Haven't seen any sites Guilty gear has posted but I haven't seen even one nice comment from him yet.... So don't get bummed out by his overzealous "critique".

I did find a typo on the tiki treasure page... it reads "Sign it to register for contest" instead of "Sign in...".

Not half bad IMHO.

Haven't seen any sites Guilty gear has posted but I haven't seen even one nice comment from him yet.... So don't get bummed out by his overzealous "critique".

Well.. we need him in this website critique forum..

First my nick is "GuiltyGear". This is a critique forum where users review other's sites, not actually other's posts. U havent seen any sites of mine, cos ive never posted one, but be sure u'll see one soon. Im in this business (define: web business) so when i critique a site, i dont do it in double quotes, at least i try. Ive been doing designs for more then 5 years so i guess i have some experience and give some advice to newbies or even experienced ones. Dont wanna get this personal but how long are u in design, to "critique" my critique? What i say is what i think and when i look a bad website, i loudly say it. Most of the sites posted here are not of the highest quality, so its normal i dont give nice comments very often ;)

Well.. we need him in this website critique forum..

Guess thats not sarcasm, so thanks, at least someone thinks im useful.

I think it's pretty good actually.  The logo is great, but like others have said...redesign your menu system and get rid of the bevel emboss.  It really dates the look of your site.  Also the menu could be wider and the content area less wide.  Seems a bit out of balance.

Im in agrement with GuiltyGear. The colours are un-inspiring and bland. The over-used bevels make me think im looking at someones highschool project rather than a production site. The scrolling text at the top of the page is terrible, you should never use scrolling text, especially when there is so much spare space at the top of the page (black area on the header) that you could have used for the recent news.

The logo is really nice and you would do well to model the site after its style (note: lack of bevels)

The links offer no visual feedback when you hover over them with your mouse, they should at the very least change colour, even if its only a very slight change.

overall I think the logo is the only good part of this site, and as GuiltyGear said, I dont think you made that.

good logo.....design also looks good.........just make left navigation button as complete link button, right now  button is not linked....only text of the button is link to related page.

Cheers!

Preet

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.