Web design site (design needs improving)

http://random-game-design.awardspace.com/

Ok, so this is my new site, the look i am going for is the modern stylish look and proffesional look.

At the moment i think it looks a bit plain and dull , but i can not think of any ideas.

Any one got any suggestions and/or designs they may have (any designs will be credited)

Have you looked at your site in internet explorer 6.0, still a very popular browser?  Your page is shifted all the way over the right hand side of the screen.  And might I suggest arial or verdana font for your content?  Some hits of color wouldn't hurt either.  Just pick one, anything will go with your grey scheme.  And some cool images to go with each page.  Just go to

http://www.sxc.hu/

Tons of free cool images you can use to brighten up your site.

Nobody can just give you ideas for your website.  I may suggest looking at some award galleries, but css and flash to get some inspiration.  There are plenty out there. 

I do agree however that your current site is pretty boring.  In my opinion if you can't come up with something decent for your own portfolio site, how do you plan to build client sites?  You have absolutely nothing going on right now. You need to have some type of graphic design skills or at least be willing to outsource that part if you plan to be successful freelancing.

No , i don't have IE6 only 7, and i am planning on adding some images last, it is mainly the colour scheme i am looking to improve, i have people that are willing to do the graphics and someone who is working with me on projects i get , who will be doing the graphics and design.

jcombs_31

The title of this forum is Website Critique so therefore i am asking for people to criticise the site not criticise me.

I am using CSS, and as for flash it is not the answer for everything and i have no need for it (unless you can think of anyflash that i might need).

I am just asking people what they think , and in there opinion what needs improving.

I wasn't suggesting to use flash, I simply stated to look at some sites for design inspiration.  As far as the critique, you didn't ask for one, you asked for suggestions on what to do which is completely different from critiquing what you already have, which is a couple boxes of text sitting on a grey background. 

http://random-game-design.awardspace.com/

Ok, so this is my new site, the look i am going for is the modern stylish look and proffesional look.

At the moment i think it looks a bit plain and dull , but i can not think of any ideas.

Any one got any suggestions and/or designs they may have (any designs will be credited)

Honestly, these are your words.  You did not ask for a critique, you asked for suggestions and designs, both of which can be derived from my first response to look at css/flash galleries. 

If you want a critique based on what you have, then I would probably say something like:

- The site lacks any content

- The colors are very dull and depressing

- You have no images making up any part of the layout other than the "logo" which is simply text.

- You have a big empty space on the left side of the content area

- What is the difference between "sites" and "portfolio"?

- Why have "services" AND "site info"?

- The name itself is strange "Random Design Studio". Random?  Shouldn't design be specific, just doesn't make sense to me.

- The footer has no padding around the text.

- Why is the menu aligned left while the footer is aligned right?

It may be a bit off-topic, but i agree with jcombs_31. When u have no ideas or skills to build a good portfolio site, team up with a designer and just handle the programming stuff. Design surely isnt rocket science, but it needs some skills and experience. Keep in mind that not everyone can become a good designer, like not everyone can become a good coder. Its all on skills.

As for the site, really theres nothing to critique. U would better have some good drafts and concepts before putting it in action. Take a look at this site for some good inspiration. As for flash, i know people are a bit sceptic on it and i agree, but for personal portfolios flash is a great tool. You can have a stunning website with little effort, as people tend to love moving stuff. Eventhough, with the right skills u can have a stunning css website too.

Good luck.

I can list few things which are missing in your website....

- good website logo

- at IE6.0 horizontal bar appearing in browser

- content text and content title is not differentiated well

- contents are not enough to all pages (I hope you will add soon)

My suggestions...

- good website logo

- related images to pages

- good navigation bar (you can go with free css and javascript buttons)

Best wishes,

Preet

• 2 weeks later...

If you don’t have any ideas for your portfolio site, Sit and draw a few mock ideas up on paper as this way you know what you want it to look like then you can research into learning how to make it look like your drawing.

This should be the same when designing for one of your clients sit with them and draw up a mock of the website.

My suggestion is scarp your site draw one up and start from there.

Just my thoughts, Good Luck with the site.

I would suggest that you change the font on your logo to something a bit more modern.

My theme suggestion would be to go with a Frank Loyd Wright style design.  He is modern.  He is an architect & designer which implies at least a bit that you are too.  His use of color is original & eye-catching but still professional.

Just a thought.

K-

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.