HDTV

jcombs_31

I'm getting an ich to upgrade my bedroom TV and definitely going HD around the house.  I can't find a good comparison guide to really help me make up my mind.  I must have looked at 100 different TVs today and I think Sony and Panasonic stood out as having the best quality.  But then I did see other nice pictures with LG and Toshiba.  I'm really still not sure if LCD or Plasma is better.  I definitely won't have any consoles or computers hooked up to this TV, just TV and movies.  I'm looking around 42" most likely.  Anyone, this is the only board I belong to these days so if you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears, or eyes I supposed.

I just purchased a 42" Vizio with full 1080P LCD for my living room last week because of the price. They're not bad... definitely not top of the line by any means, but with 3 kids running around, I don't want to own much that's top of the line and can be broken ;) .... I've been very pleased so far, and the HDMI hookup from my Sony surround sound/DVD player, it's really been nice enough for what I'm after... The best I've seen (and most expensive) have definitely been the Sony, though. I'm still personally against the plasma since last time I ran the comparisons, the burn in rate from the plasma was MUCH higher. I recommend that if you do any console gaming on your TV, go with the LCD rather than plasma. I'm sure they're better than they were, but the HUD still has a tendency to burn in the plasmas faster... just my 2 cents.

I just purchased a 42" Vizio with full 1080P LCD for my living room last week because of the price. They're not bad... definitely not top of the line by any means, but with 3 kids running around, I don't want to own much that's top of the line and can be broken ;) .... I've been very pleased so far, and the HDMI hookup from my Sony surround sound/DVD player, it's really been nice enough for what I'm after... The best I've seen (and most expensive) have definitely been the Sony, though. I'm still personally against the plasma since last time I ran the comparisons, the burn in rate from the plasma was MUCH higher. I recommend that if you do any console gaming on your TV, go with the LCD rather than plasma. I'm sure they're better than they were, but the HUD still has a tendency to burn in the plasmas faster... just my 2 cents.

I've been doing some reading that the burn-in of plasma is way over-exaggerated.  I'm not concerned however because I only play games on my computer.  It does seem however that LCD is becoming more popular as there seemed to be more of them in the stores.  I checked out visio and the picture just didn't seem to compare to others like sony and samsung.  Sony does seem pretty expensive though.  Decisions, decisions...

I've been doing some reading that the burn-in of plasma is way over-exaggerated.  I'm not concerned however because I only play games on my computer.  It does seem however that LCD is becoming more popular as there seemed to be more of them in the stores.  I checked out visio and the picture just didn't seem to compare to others like sony and samsung.  Sony does seem pretty expensive though.  Decisions, decisions...

As far as kids, this is going in my room, I've got a 55" projection in the family room that my kid puts his fingers all over.  This will be mounted high on my wall out of reach! ;)

Doh, Hit quote instead of modify!!!

Man, this has to be one of the hardest decisions I've had to make in a while.  I found it much easier to order my new PC.  I think Samsung now stands out as one of the best quality I've seen.  LG had a few really nice looking ones too.  I've spent the last two days looks at multiple stores and researching online and still can't make a clear decision.

I can't really find a good reputable (updated) site that makes comparisons/suggestions.  Anyone know a good place to visit for more insight?

I have no complaints with my 32' LG LCD HDTV.  It's almost two years old, and I've had no major problems.  There are some noise/static/pixel issues if there's a lot of herky-jerky motion with a lot of colors (think up-close, full-speed sports replay), but it's pretty rare.  Works great with HD-capable game consoles.  No picture issues at all with HDMI.

I have no complaints with my 32' LG LCD HDTV.  It's almost two years old, and I've had no major problems.  There are some noise/static/pixel issues if there's a lot of herky-jerky motion with a lot of colors (think up-close, full-speed sports replay), but it's pretty rare.  Works great with HD-capable game consoles.  No picture issues at all with HDMI.

I'd say those sound like issues I'd want to avoid.

I'd say those sound like issues I'd want to avoid.

D'oh!

But, no, the noise issues only happen very rarely.  I think it's more to do with me using component cables for TV rather than HDMI, because, like I said before, I have no problems at all playing PS3/Xbox 360 games on it, even when the action gets heavy.

LCD > Plasma

Lighter, less energy, no glare, less heat emissions.

Well, those are some benefits, but plasma generally has more natural colors, better contrast and faster refresh rates eliminating motion blur.  I ended up with a 42" panasonic 1080p plasma. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.