DREAMS ...

coldn1ght

hello, I have the basic/dummies background of php mysql.

This post is just to find me a master, in php programming. like a obiwan-lukeskywalker thing.

someone that would mold and help me to become a php webmaster, it is my dream to become one.

by the way if this post is a violation to the rule, please feel free to delete it, but think first you'll be ruining my dream :'(. j/k seriously if this violates in anyway please do delete it.

if any kindhearted php&mysql master out there willing to take me as your student/apprentice.

here is my contact list:

miomerchie@gmail.com

korudekorude@yahoo.com --- yahoo messenger

or Instant message here in forums. thank you. :P

I doubt anyone here is going to directly mentor you.  Your best bet is to find a decent resource on PHP 5 and MySQL, some hosting that has those two items (even free hosting services, for example, Awardspace, often has both of them), and start coding yourself.  If you really need to be taken by the hand and shown what to do, you should look for PHP classes at your local community and/or technical college(s).

if you come here the group can help you.  pming just ruins it for everyone...nobody but you learns anything.  if it is in a post, anyone who finds it might learn something.

Agreed. I remember asking the exact same questions on other boards, even referencing becoming a padawan ironically and the only thing I learned was that its spelled that way and not patawan (though aparently in other locations it is a 't'). This board is a great help as well as php.net to search functions and save you time and struggling. Also try to find one or two people you know that have worked with PHP or other languages and chat with them too. I know a guy thats a system admin for a school board and another that is in game design or programming or something and they've both been really helpful, the first for the concepts and the second for the syntax. If you've coded before and understand the concepts it shouldn't take you too long to port it to the PHP syntax. Except maybe arrays. They still boggle my head.

Good luck youngling.

Good points.  I think my first message came across as a little snarky (I am NOT a morning person :P), so I apologize.  Let me rephrase:

Like the others, and myself, have more or less said, a mentor/apprentice relationship - especially if it's a long distance, online relationship - just isn't conductive to you (the original poster) learning the language.  It's inefficient at best, and it's also not fair to us, as the reality is we all have other responsibilities to address during the day.  As far as I know, we're all volunteers who stop by when we have a free moment to chat about PHP and help each other with our problems and ideas.  Looking for anything more than that from here is just a waste.

Now, this isn't to say we won't help with any issues you may have.  But we're not going to focus on making you a PHP master.  Instead, this community will do what its always done: address the specific problems anyone may have regarding PHP, MySQL, and related technologies.

Like I said before, if you really want to learn the language, a good PHP 5 resource is a must.  I learned most of my procedural-style PHP and MySQL kung fu from one of Larry Ullman's Visual Quickstart Guide books.  I think something like that would be a good place for you to start.  And, like ardyandkari and hopelessX suggested, you'd be well served by supplementing whatever you learn on your own by posting questions here and visiting php.net's function reference (http://www.php.net/quickref.php).  And if that's not enough, like I said before, you should look at what local colleges offer.

Of course, if someone does take you up on your offer, then this is all moot.

thanks for the info and the personal experience, well can I have your messengers incase I have questions? or clarifications. if it is ok with you  three though... Some of the people I know aren't so good in terms of sharing their ideas and talents. They don't want competition.

"This post is just to find me a master, in php programming. like a obiwan-lukeskywalker thing."

My Starwars memory could be failing, but err... Didn't Luke Skywalker kill Obiwan?

No, Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader kills Obiwan.

This reminds me of when my classical studies teacher mentioned in a specific instance that Socrates assumed the padawan role in relation to Diotima as Plato otherwise usually did with Socrates.

:o you're not much of a starwars fan, are you???

you see...  obi-wan was ol' ben who was actually a drag queen in the cantina at mos eisley who would dance for the disgustingly fat babba the butt.  luke comes in, lightsaber a blazing and saves her from the fatty's greasy paws.  then they take a cruise on the millenium malcom until they reach the restaurant at the end of the universe.  the end.

:o you're not much of a starwars fan, are you???

you see...  obi-wan was ol' ben who was actually a drag queen in the cantina at mos eisley who would dance for the disgustingly fat babba the butt.  luke comes in, lightsaber a blazing and saves her from the fatty's greasy paws.  then they take a cruise on the millenium malcom until they reach the restaurant at the end of the universe.  the end.

Doesn't sound exactly right to me, but I was too distracted by Leia's bikini at that point, so what ever you say ;p.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.