Writing code for previous Web Browser Versions

woody79

Do you make code compatible for older browsers like IE6?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you make code compatible for older browsers like IE6?

• No. I'm too lazy
    • No, If they haven't updated they shouldn't be using the internet
    • When I feel like it.
    • Yeah. All the time because I too use an older version.
    • Yeah because I feel sorry for the user.

Personally I don't because I believe that if they haven't updated there web browser there internet viewing privileges should be revoked.

PS. Whilst writing this I thought about checking the User Agent String for IE6 and then denying access.

Although I hate it, I make sure everything I build looks the same in IE6 as it does in Firefox. Though, I don't make the effort to test in anything older than version 6, but the stats on a lot of our projects display that there are still people using browsers as old as IE3 - I can't imagine how they have a pleasant experience on the web...

What I meant by:

PS. Whilst writing this I thought about checking the User Agent String for IE6 and then denying access.

Was that I have a "lightbox" that appears when somebody using IE6 opens the page and offers something like

This page is best viewed with the latest version of your web browser.

Click Here to Download

Although I hate it, I make sure everything I build looks the same in IE6 as it does in Firefox. Though, I don't make the effort to test in anything older than version 6, but the stats on a lot of our projects display that there are still people using browsers as old as IE3 - I can't imagine how they have a pleasant experience on the web...

Holy God!  I can't even remember IE3.  I've never even seen it.  Wow!

Holy God!  I can't even remember IE3.  I've never even seen it.  Wow!

Me neither, I have only ever seen screenshots of it, I don't think I'm old enough to remember it...

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.