Adding subdomain for different cities

asmith

Hey guys

I want to add some cities to a website and have different information for each city. 

for example :  If the website is  www.example.com .  I make  city1.example.com ,  city2.example.com ...

I want to make it like, the cities main page looks like exactly like the main www.example.com .

I'm seeking for the best idea how to do it the best way.

I remember someone told me before that if i just copy the content of public_html  (www.example.com) to the publichtml/city1 (city1.example.com),  Then in this case my site google's cash will become double because i've double my pages.  Is that true?

Is it a good thing i copy the content of the main page in every city folder?

Other sites do such thing ?

What will be the best way ? (and still have a good effect on the google)

Thanks in advance

searching a domain like :    site:example.com , show the number of pages google has cashed. As far as i know the more your cash become,  more people will visit your site.

assuming i've been told, if i make my site pages (files) double, then google cash will be double or so... you know all the links...contents... URLs will be double if i just copy the root files, to the subdomain folder, and just change that city names in those files.

I want to have better rankings in google, that's the thing I may not go for the easiest solution.

I hope i get you what i mean.  :-\

assuming i've been told, if i make my site pages (files) double, then google cash will be double or so... you know all the links...contents... URLs will be double if i just copy the root files, to the subdomain folder, and just change that city names in those files.

ah.. I see what you meant. Google would have no idea that each of those subdomains are routed through the same application. However, if you have duplicate content it could really hurt your page ranking. See http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359

Duplicate content generally refers to substantive blocks of content within or across domains that either completely match other content or are appreciably similar. [....] In the rare cases in which Google perceives that duplicate content may be shown with intent to manipulate our rankings and deceive our users, we'll also make appropriate adjustments in the indexing and ranking of the sites involved. As a result, the ranking of the site may suffer, or the site might be removed entirely from the Google index, in which case it will no longer appear in search results.

You need to make sure that the content is substantially different or your site's page rank could be damaged or removed completely.

So talking about google rankings and "cache" (Thanks to daniel0 :D ),  Would you still use wildcard subdomain and then reference $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']? (Assuming you want to have a much better rank in google too)

Or you will duplicate the content as well and try to careful about those advices?

like has been said before, if you duplicate the content you will get hurt in your rankings or even blacklisted.  the content must be different.

the people at google aren't stupid.  they know that people are going to try to massage everything out of the system that they can...

but if you want to try it and find out...go on ahead.

I don't wanna duplicated. I wanna duplicate main things needed for the cities.

Like If i have some kind of yellow pages about the whole country in the main domain, the city1 yellow pages will go to city1.example.com. 

but as they are yellow pages, the will look a lot the same!but  page titles would be different, and main part of the content i guess.

Pages look will be same, but some links or phone numbers will be different.

Now you call that duplicate?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.