CSS Layout and firefox

gerkintrigg

Can you believe it!? IE seems to work better than firefox (I'm shocked)...

Anyway I really am pretty new to totally CSS layouts (I'm a die-hard tabler trying to kick the habit as it's bad for my health).

My website that I'm developing is: http://71.18.2.210/test2.php It looks as I want it to in Internet explorer, but firefox isn't doing it quite right. The copyright is in the wrong place.

In tables, this is dead easy... I just want to put the copyright at the bottom of the layout - wherever that is. Problem is that with floats and absolute positions, it keeps reverting to a bit higher. I'm fine with doing it per page but I'm trying to use dreamweaver to make a template that will fit all pages.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just because you tweaked IE to do what you want doesn't mean IE is right... Firefox almost always is right and IE is almost always wrong.

Having looked at your source I'd say Firefox is right on this one.

<input name="text_file" type="file" class="text" id="text_file" size="20" /><br />

You need to set the size with CSS.  different systems have different fonts, etc.  and that form box will be different all over the place.

you're working in reverse. Design it in a compliant browser like FF first, then if needed, tweak it to work in IE. The only complaint browser that MS has is 8 beta, and hopefully they'll get it right this time. I refuse to use IE, for anything other than checking the functionalities for site layouts. The only people that are using IE for everyday purpose are mostly computer illiterates, since it comes installed on computers that they buy at Best Buy Dell, etc, and don't know any better.

I have to say that IE7 is almost (but not quite) as good as FF. I usually test my webpages on IE7 first, simply because I'm running Vista 64-bit and only IE let's me use Flash w/ it. ... It's complicated.

Anway, what I'm trying to say, is that as long as you test your webpages in one of the css compliant web browsers like FF, Safari, Opera and even IE7 you should be fine. Please note that I said IE7. IE6 or lower is a completely different story...

The only time I see myself resorting to testing on FF is when I'm dealing w/ complex css models like position: fixed; or display: table-cell;.  ;)

you're working in reverse. Design it in a compliant browser like FF first, then if needed, tweak it to work in IE. The only complaint browser that MS has is 8 beta, and hopefully they'll get it right this time. I refuse to use IE, for anything other than checking the functionalities for site layouts. The only people that are using IE for everyday purpose are mostly computer illiterates, since it comes installed on computers that they buy at Best Buy Dell, etc, and don't know any better.

Have you even tested IE8 beta? You would be surprised how terrible it is. Even google maps doesn't work w/ IE8. To be quite honest, I'm completely comfortable with IE7. As long as everyone stops IE6 and upgrades to IE7; I would actually be able to sleep at night in peace.  ;D:D

Have you even tested IE8 beta?

Yes, there are definitely problems, but still beta. From what I've read about IE8, is that MS initially wanted to use css compliant standards as secondary, an their own as primary. But, AS OF THAT READING, they decided to switch them around, hopefully they will get something right this time.

They wanted to be the first browser to actually be 100% css specifications compliant and pass the WASP Acid2 test.

Leave it to MS to just get it all wrong again when attempting to get it right. We don't CARE if it is 100% spec compliant ... just first make "at least as" compliant as the top 4 css compliant browsers. Worry about being perfect later.

So far IE8beta css is easily blow up and it is failing the Acid tests - so much for even "at least as compliant as".

Only 2 browsers have passed the new Acid3 test within a month of its release this July ... WebKit and Opera. So MS will once again start falling behind in compliance while the others start jumping ahead.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.