Which language is best for Social Networking website

sureshp

Dear ALL,

I am thinking about developing a Social Networking website and I am very much concentrating on speed and efficiency.

My friends are saying that Python will be faster than PHP. But, I saw most of the social networking websites are built in PHP, Ruby On Rails.

For example, Youtube, MySpace,... are built in PHP.

What do you think? Kindly suggest me the best option which will lead to build a Social Network website with better loading speed.

Thanks in Advance !

Regards,

Suresh P

thanks guys.

How can we improve the speed with php? I think "speed is the king" for social networking website.

I see that Rediff / Yahoo websites are loading very faster. how can they achieved it? is there any possibility to achieve it with PHP?

Thanks,

Suresh P

1: As Daniel said, optimise your queries. Make sure nothing is in a loop etc.

2: Test your security. Remember that users will have a lot of points to attack from.

3: Try other social networks and make sure that you site follows the same pattern of usability.

4: MAKE IT EASY for people to use. (Most important).

Use the language you're most comfortable with, can maintain forward, is forward-compatible, and supports simple plugin of extras produced by others.

For that reason, I'd personally choose to avoid something like Ruby on Rails (I wasn't an expert with it, and produced http://www.projectkir.org in it, and then had a hard time maintaining!) and have since launched other sites (Boolify.org, Codekindness.org) in PHP; these are languages I know, I'm comfortable with, know will be around for a long time to come, can be optimized, and support simple integration with other 3rd party plugins/apps/etc.

So, in the end, nothing is "better"/"worse", but perhaps you're more able to support a particular language...

--Dave / Codekindness.org

Speed / efficiency I feel is based on 2 things:

1. Your Server (speed)

2. optimized code (efficiency)

If programmed correctly, PHP can be faster than Python, ASP, CodFusion, etc. and vise versa.

Just like saying "A language is only as secure as its programmer", has a similar saying "A language is only as efficient as its programmer"

A fast server will also make your coding language faster.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.