Going rate for freelance undergraduate IT consultant

yogibear

Hi all

I have a question about how much I should charge for being an IT consultant for a local church. I have been working for several small companies for a number of years now, normally I take whatever they are willing to pay per hour (they always have an idea). Problem is the church has no idea what a suitable amount is. I don’t what to suggest an amount that may be higher than the going rate for an IT consultant due to the fact it is a church and there are a number of volunteers working there.

I’ve been there a couple of times to see what is required, so far it seems like it is just  to set up broadband, a wireless network for a laptop and delete all the files of a priest who has retired. Not exactly complicated stuff.

I’m currently studying for a BSC(Hons) in computing, I completed a BTEC National Diploma in computing with grade Distinction-Distinction-Distinction, equivalent to 3 A’s at A-level. 6 years working as a freelance IT consultant.

Any idea of the amount that would be suitable would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Yogi bear

Where I live (new mexico) it seems the rates are from $15/hr and up.  $15/hr for techs who are relatively new the job and need the experience.  If you already know what you're doing, but are not familiar with the place (assuming it's a little more in-depth than setting up wireless,  a domain environment with multiple servers controlling everything from phones to peoples' desktops for example) you would start out at what you think the minimum value of your time is then as you familiarize yourself with their systems you renew the contract (once it ends of course) with a higher rate.  Then every time you renew the contract you up the rate again until it gets to what you believe your time is worth.

"Where I live (new mexico) it seems the rates are from $15/hr and u"

Wow, no one would ever higher me then.  x.x.

"I’m currently studying for a BSC(Hons) in computing, I completed a BTEC National Diploma in computing with grade Distinction-Distinction-Distinction, equivalent to 3 A’s at A-level. 6 years working as a freelance IT consultant."

You've been a freelance IT consultant for 6 years and can't come up with a price?  Weird.

base it on your last customers?

clearly location means alot small towns and such will always pay less then bigger cities also you need to consider discounts for non profits it makes you look good and the customer is more likely to talk about your services if you assist them on the budget they  allot for this job..

at least thats how i handle design jobs i flex my cost based on budget and income of the company non profits i whip out cheap but they all talk and get me paid.. from other companies their volunteers have a friend who owns and stuff

You know what I REEEEALLY hate? People driving their prices down! I was on a Freelance forum not so long ago and seen Indian programmers offering themselves up for $5 an hour. I've also received emails from people looking for complete Ajax-driven websites for $70. I didn't even reply.

You know what I REEEEALLY hate? People driving their prices down! I was on a Freelance forum not so long ago and seen Indian programmers offering themselves up for $5 an hour. I've also received emails from people looking for complete Ajax-driven websites for $70. I didn't even reply.

Yeah the whole foreign exchange rate thing kinda sucks.  Then again, it kinda comes with open source software if you think about it.  (If it costs nothing, they have no overhead to take care of, therefore they can make their prices super low, since they can live easily off of that.)

I will advise anyone not to waste their time with freelancing forums and websites. Stick to getting jobs through word of mouth, referrals and by advertising in your local area. No way am I competing with somebody who offers themselves up for $5 an hour. To me, that is around €3 - €3.50 an hour. The minimum wage in Ireland is around €8, so no way could I afford to do jobs at that price.

To be honest, I've become disenfranchised with doing freelance work for those overseas. I fixed a script for some guy, and as soon as it was fixed he cut off all contact with me; refusing to pay $30. I mean, if you cant shell out $30, there really isn't that much hope for you.

I was given advice before. Try to get three or four good clients and stick with them.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.