do you use flowchart when you design the system?

ok

I think flowcharts have sort of evolved into models.  But anyways, if I were to give an answer based on the posts on this board, I'd say most people have an idea, maybe even scribble something down on paper, and then jump right into the coding....and then start asking questions about why something isn't working logic-wise or why can't they wrap their head around something else or why can't they get A to work with B or...the list goes on and on.

The only thing I place on paper, or design is the page layout (which sometimes changes many times).

The coding could also change many times, and sometimes I am not even sure how I want the page to work... For example, last night I decided I wanted to change only one page from a page-page login to an AJAX login, just so the page doesn't have to reload and then reload the playing video. Sometimes on my sites I decide to completely dump an Idea and do something different.

I feel (my opinion) that for my benefit, that flowcharts are useless. Flowcharts in no way help me, only would set me back due to the flowchart that is brewing up in my head, and changing faster than one that would be written down on a paper/computer.

I have tried making a flowchart, and when I was done or halfway done, I decided I would rather code it then figure out the flow of it.

People who work for themselves, by themselves, can sometimes get away with that.  But that doesn't really work out when there are several people working on the same project.  The whole point of putting things down on paper is not just to work something out design/logic-wise, but to overcome the fact that not everybody is psychic. 

I work for a software company and we have design meetings where flowcharting is used quite frequently.  It is usually done on a whiteboard so it's rarely stored with the source, but requirements around here are usually kept with a diagram of some sort.

if its a small bug no

if its a whole system then yes i use ERD's

if its a VERY complicated algorithm i use Jackson Structured Programming combined with pseudo programming

i very rarley use object diagrams as the complexity of my OOP is very low i only use classes for certain things like teh database layer, data formatting and files etc, however if you were doing fully oop id use an object relation digram.

if i was to do multi processing i would use a state digram

omnigraffle for MAC OSX and SMartdraw for windows open office for linux and windows and mac

God I hate flow charts.  I think I can blame my lower grade teachers for that.  I don't need a flow chart to write a damn essay.

Anyway, usually I do atleast think through something before I begin coding, and sometimes I write stuff down.  Never flow charts.  NEVER!!!!

God I hate flow charts.  I think I can blame my lower grade teachers for that.  I don't need a flow chart to write a damn essay.

Anyway, usually I do atleast think through something before I begin coding, and sometimes I write stuff down.  Never flow charts.  NEVER!!!!

if you learn UML u can enhance any endevour by pre planning the model

I've looked into UML models before....  Far too lazy to make those.

I've looked into UML models before....  Far too lazy to make those.

my man , UML is just a standard, whatever takes your fancey you should put it on paper it makes sense deep down

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.