Page Views

The Little Guy

I would go with b.  It is the easiest and fastest way to count the views instead of going through all the records, especially if your video collection expands.  Every time someone views the video, just increment by 1 and you're done...

a. The row would contain information about the user, such as: ip, date viewed, user id (if they are logged in) for sure. Maybe some other info too. If I went with option b. I would then use option a. as well, because I don't want to increment the count if the user refreshes the page, only if they come back 24 hours later.

a good solution would be to have a log table for all

video views. therefore you are free to analyze this

data later on like views per hour etc.

on a next step you build a cronjob which counts

all video views and writes the sum into one table

field (update col countviews in video table).

a good solution would be to have a log table for all

video views. therefore you are free to analyze this

data later on like views per hour etc.

This is what I was thinking...

I wanted to do option a, because I currently have a table that has almost 9K rows in it, and it queries a count in less than one second.  The problem is, will this take WAY too long when there is say 1M - 5M rows?

on a next step you build a cronjob which counts

all video views and writes the sum into one table

field (update col countviews in video table).

I would like to minimize the number of queries to do this, and the only way I know of would be to make a loop, that does a query every single pass, and if I have 20,000 videos, this would do around 40,000 queries, not cool.

The Little Guy:

Try to use both options: separate table "video_log" for occasional statistics with ip, date viewed, user id ... and grand total in table "video" for displaying on each request for page.

if I have 20,000 videos, this would do around 40,000 queries

SELECT COUNT(video_id) FROM video_log GROUP BY (video_id) - this is 1 query for select.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.