Uh Oh!

Lamez

My dad decided I was skilled enough to refer me to someone to build a website, I can do this, however I am not as skilled as I should be, so I was wondering if charging him $10 an hour is too much? If I work 5 hours, that is only $50 dollars.

Wow, that was really nice of your dad :D Good luck on this and like P.F. said, just get a general outline of what he wants the site to look like, show/say, and do. Maybe even create a pdf/image file with a preview of the design/layout for him to review before you build it.

Don't be afraid to make it worth your time.  When I first started running my own business I felt bad charging people what seemed like a bunch.  I would fix computers for $30 and make websites requiring 20+ hours of work for $400-$800.  I've since figured things out and charge around $55/hr.

If all he wants is some simple html information site then I would assume you are more than qualified for it (I have no idea how you are design wise though, so that can vary).  So assuming that you are qualified you could charge quite a bit more than $10/hr.  I don't know where you live so prices may vary of course.  Your initial quote should be the price you would like and feel would be well worth your time.  So start at like $30/hr (or what you feel is fair, I would probably do my current price of $55/hr).  If he doesn't like the price then negotiate it with him.  If he keeps shying away from it and you get down to your minimum price and he still won't take it then just walk.  You don't owe him any favors.

Sorry but I think in your shoes, I would charge minimal prices.  It really all boils down to what the guy wants, but I would stick to $10-$15 an hour, maybe $100 flat fee if it's basically an overgrown business card.  Why?  The very fact that you're wondering about prices and getting nervous about the project speaks volumes about your lack of experience (nothing personal, you got to start somewhere).  It's been my personal experience that "selling yourself short" when you first get into something is ideal.  You won't feel as pressured to perform well in uncharted territory.  Customer won't lose out as much if you get cold feet and bail.  From customer's point of view, if they pay standard prices, they expect the standard.  If I go to a barber shop, I expect a haircut from someone who knows how to cut hair, not someone training.  Or being worked on by a student nurse/dentist/whatever. Why should you be the guinea pig and still have to pay normal prices?  You can tell the customer up front that you aren't charging normal prices, so he won't be as disappointed if it turns out you suck or bail or whatever.  And he (being your dad's friend, such and all), may very well give you extra if the job turns out good, because he'd know that you charged him less than the norm. And also, your dad is presumably trying to hook a friend up, and it kind of defeats the purpose of hooking friends up if you charge them standard prices. 

Just remember that when you are designing this website, to continuously seek his communication. That means, make a mock up, get his feedback, make changes based on that feedback... repeat. Sooner or later you'll have something. Do your research. Find websites that relate to his business and note down the colour schemes, layout etc. Ask him to pick out three websites that he likes. This way, you can figure out what his tastes are.

Sorry but I think in your shoes, I would charge minimal prices.  It really all boils down to what the guy wants, but I would stick to $10-$15 an hour, maybe $100 flat fee if it's basically an overgrown business card.  Why?  The very fact that you're wondering about prices and getting nervous about the project speaks volumes about your lack of experience (nothing personal, you got to start somewhere).  It's been my personal experience that "selling yourself short" when you first get into something is ideal.  You won't feel as pressured to perform well in uncharted territory.  Customer won't lose out as much if you get cold feet and bail.  From customer's point of view, if they pay standard prices, they expect the standard.  If I go to a barber shop, I expect a haircut from someone who knows how to cut hair, not someone training.  Or being worked on by a student nurse/dentist/whatever. Why should you be the guinea pig and still have to pay normal prices?  You can tell the customer up front that you aren't charging normal prices, so he won't be as disappointed if it turns out you suck or bail or whatever.  And he (being your dad's friend, such and all), may very well give you extra if the job turns out good, because he'd know that you charged him less than the norm. And also, your dad is presumably trying to hook a friend up, and it kind of defeats the purpose of hooking friends up if you charge them standard prices. 

I can agree with this.  It's how I started.  Watch out for the people who will try to take advantage of cheap prices though.  One of my very first websites was an online local auction site which was an upgrade to their current over the phone ms excel thing they made work somehow.  The bill was $800 when I was done which was in January 2008.  They still owe me $300 of that and constantly ask me to write new sections and spiffy things up.  So aside from the obvious point of raise your prices once you feel comfortable, I guess my main point here is this:

CONTRACTS.  Work something out.  Write down what the job is specifically, when payments are due, and consequences for late payments.  Don't worry about coming off too aggressive and scaring the client off, business guys understand business.  Once it's all figured out, both of you sign it, make a copy for whoever doesn't get the original and happy business.  If changes to the original contract come about you can either amend the contract and resign it, or just do it changes in the form of work orders which the original contract as the 'base'.  So if John wants another 2 pages on top of the originally agreed 10 pages, the work order would be +2 pages to contract number xxxx (or something along those lines).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.