[SOLVED] unserialize raw session

jaymc

I need a function that can unserialize the contents of a session file so I can manually alter a value

Then, I need to save the file

This cant involve any session_start() etc as I dont want to over write the real session

I would prefer to do it all raw

Cheers

When someone sends someone else a message I want to flash a box saying new message

However, I dont want to query the database every page refresh, I called SESSIONs on every page so it makes sense to manipulate them..

I need it this way

yeh, but still, it accumulates 100,000's rows

it doesnt make sense to me to have to query that table every time you flick between a page

It will just hammer it

Im talking about optimising here.. not standard ways for small bespoke applications

Honestly, I think you are looking at this all wrong. MySQL is built for that, how do you think this site works? or even google? They all search through databases.

The trick is limiting the rows, I take it not evey user will be accessing all 100,000 rows all the time. I think you need to optimize your code or DB more.

A simple messaging system you would only be pulling out messages for a certain user so you already limit the rows to those who are to that user or sent by that user.

Honestly it does make sense to query the table each time, especially if you are updating the table. Sessions are nice, but it is not a realistic example. Eventually the session data has a limit and you will slow the user down with processing time then your server will be overloaded with processing time when thousand of users are accessing/reading/writing to a file system that is not nearly as efficient as a database.

Trust in the database. There is a reason they are heavily used, they are quick speedy and reliable.

For example a site I own, blog site that is, has over 5,000 users it generates aroun 50,000 unique hits a day with over 40,000 unique blogs with over 100,000 unique comments and it runs smooth as butter.

If I am missing the point sorry, but I think you are breaking your brain for nothing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.