[SOLVED] PHP Title?

daveoffy

I am changing up my site a little more to make it simple to edit but only changing one file. So I have the include for the header and that all works. But I want each page to have a different title. So I tried

$title = 'Title Name' under the include file. and set the title to $title and it doesn't work. Does anyone know how to do this?

This is a common issue of envoking CMS because generally you use a sandwhich principle to include a footer/header around a dynamic content section.

The trick to doing this, this is one easy way.

1) Make a separate include_once page called titles which has an array that looks like

<?php
$titles['index.php'] = "Home Page";
$titles['about.php'] = "About Us";
?>

Include it above your header include and draw your titles of this combined with $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];

<?php
require_once("titles.php");
require_once("header.php");
?>

In header.php

<?php
echo "<head>";
echo "<title>Mysite: ".$titles[$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']]."</title>";
echo "</head>";
?>

Should get that title var

You could put the titles in the header file but down the line you may say hey lets add DB backend to it and then its already separated and easy to build into it

I actually encountered this error in writing my CMS about 6 months ago and it made me restructure my whole process.  Mine uses a database to pull everything so what I needed to do was first query for the content and title of the given page and then get the header/footer content then send header-content-footer to the browser for rendering.  Once you figure it out its simple but I knocked my head on a wall for a week on making it work how I wanted.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.