Help - I've inherited a website

php dummy

Okay, here goes

Have had a few programmers look at the sight and scratch their heads. Don't know if the original guy knew what he was doing or purposely sabatoged the site. It works fairly well, but needs to be updated. We can't find anyone who wants to work on it. I know a little, so I thought I would give it a try. It is a pet registration website, (like American Kennel Club) users and breeders register dogs into a database. Would like to be able to track pedigrees, etc.

Ah, so the reality of web development settles in.  I've encountered many similar situations.  How well commented is the code?  How well structured is it?  Is it uniform across the board with naming conventions, bracket placement, indentation?

When re-working (or completely redoing) these are the things that you have to take into account when you could possibly have to pass it off to someone else.  Make sure that you are continually maintaining your code and making it legible and seeing that it flows smoothly.  1, it's easier for you to go through and find errors, and 2, others don't have a heart-attack when viewing it.

Some people don't comment because they think another programmer will ever dare look at their code. Did those people really "scratch their heads" at the code? They must be newbies then unless this is a site like google or vbulletin code.

Some people don't comment because they think another programmer will ever dare look at their code. Did those people really "scratch their heads" at the code? They must be newbies then unless this is a site like google or vbulletin code.

A lot of enterprise-sized software can be confusing as hell. When you open up an application and it has 50 includes right off the bat with no descriptive filenames, it can suck, bad. Especially when people have gone about trying to build an application structure that pulls in different files and objects from all over the place to complete a task.

The scratching of the heads could really just be that the initial programmer did a horrible job.

Same reason here. I see no point especially if someones going to steal the code
You think some programmer is going to just randomly jack part of your code? Most of the times I've seen code stolen is as a whole, so the comments really don't make a difference.

Never heard of it

TIME TO GOOGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Windows users....

I've never (ok maybe very, very rarely) commented a script.  (Well, unless it's something I post on here or something.)

Mainly cause I'm lazy.

That's very bad practice.  It's always a good idea to comment scripts.  I guess if you're doing freelance it's not that big of a deal.  Also, web languages are so easy to learn and understand that only limited commentary is necessary.  But working for a company with larger, more complex projects and team members is a whole different story.

Ah, so the reality of web development settles in.  I've encountered many similar situations.  How well commented is the code?  How well structured is it?  Is it uniform across the board with naming conventions, bracket placement, indentation?

When re-working (or completely redoing) these are the things that you have to take into account when you could possibly have to pass it off to someone else.  Make sure that you are continually maintaining your code and making it legible and seeing that it flows smoothly.  1, it's easier for you to go through and find errors, and 2, others don't have a heart-attack when viewing it.

Amen.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.