I'm a total greenhorn and I need some help...please?

cdnflightmedic

Hello all,

I am new to this site, and new to MySQL and PHP. I do a fair amount of web programming, and I am now looking to create a secure section to a website I have created. I hear that MySQL and PHP is the way to go, but I know nothing about the two. I am basically trying to create a user login page with a password field, for my staff members to input in order to get the secure side of the site. I understand that a database needs to be put in place with MySQL. I don't have a MySQL downloaded to my computer, so we would need to start there. I would appreciate a very step by step process to building this up as I, like I said before am very green to all of this, but willing to learn. Please help. Sincerely, cdnflightmedic :D

That's not programming really; HTML is just a markup language. =/  I think you're misunderstanding what PHP actually does.  It's a hypertext preprocessor, so it does just want it sounds like.  It processes and outputs HTML, essentially.  Basically, if you had some php:

<?php
echo "<em>Hello, world!</em>";
?>

All it really did was print some HTML for your browser to interpret.  The real power of PHP is being able to manipulate things like cookies, sessions, and databases in order to output specific HTML.  Read up on it a bit.

I do a fair amount of web programming, and I am now looking to create a secure section to a website I have created.

What language do you currently program in?

I thought the question was asking "what language", which is why I put html. Like I had mentioned previously, I am looking for help for one aspect of PHP and MySQL as I simply do not have the time to be learning a new computer language or aspect of programming, as the use of it would be extremely limited for what I actually need. Many of you do this sort of programming as a profession, or are avid hobbyists, but I unfortunately do not have the luxury of time as I am busy managing a business, and I am simply looking for help on one small project. Of course if I had the time, I would take a course and look into PHP and MySQL on an in depth level. Can anyone help beyond telling me to take a course or a tutorial? Sincerely, cdnflightmedic

Yeah, I'm afraid programming (in any language, and no, html is NOT a programming language) is not something that your simply going to pick up over night.

There's a free book in my signature (Hudzilla) that if you where real keen you could probably knock over in a weekend and go from there. Otherwise, Id suggest you start looking for an open source solution that does close to what you want, either that, or as Corbin said, your likely going to need to hire someone.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.