[SOLVED] InnoDB vs MyISAM for a Social Networking Website

sergeidave

Hi,

I'm kind of new about using MySQL and databases in general. I want to practice web development by creating a website that will have social networking features. I'm positive that such a website will need a relational database, and if this is the case, I will need tables that relate to each other via foreign keys (is there another approach?).

So I'm wondering if MySQL is used by sooooooo many web developers, how come that the tables are defaulted to use MyISAM engines which do not support foreign keys? Are there any other methods of creating a relational database besides using foreign keys?

I'm sorry if I sound very novice (in fact I am novice), thank you so much for your help!!

Cheers,

David

You use the JOIN syntax within your queries to relate fields.

i.e. SELECT x,y,x FROM tableA a LEFT JOIN tableB b ON (a.id = b.fid)

The relational fields should be given indexes.

MyISAM is faster than INNODB so is used for most small/medium websites/applications. It really depends on what your database requirements are to decide what engine to use. I have only needed to use INNODB tables on large projects where tables may become corrupt due to a vast number of simultanious queries which would need repairing using MYISAM.

Even if it was true (which to my knowledge is not), what would stop us from using it in 'non-transactional' databases?

InnoDB seems to be better choice over MyISAM in almost every manner (except for lack of FULLTEXT indexes, and perhaps a larger memory footprint - but you need to give lots of RAM to MySQL server anyways if you want it to work quick)

Even if it was true (which to my knowledge is not), what would stop us from using it in 'non-transactional' databases?

Nothing...  Found this comparison (InnoDB vs MyISAM):

I did some research after I posted this thread. Apparently MyISAM is faster than InnoDB. The only advantage InnoDB has over MyISAM is that it supports row locking, while MyISAM only supports table locking. Therefore, if lots of reads and writes are constantly being done to a very large table, it eliminates the constant database errors that using a MyISAM table would cause from the overload. InnoDB would therefore be a tad more reliable when you don't mind taking a small performance hit in exchange for not suffering from table locking issues.

1. The message at daniweb is from March 2006. Entry at MySQL Performance Blog is almost one year later.

2. Guys at MySQL Performace Blog did some benchmarking actually... and they're pros when it comes to MySQL consulting.

MyISAM is faster than INNODB so is used for most small/medium websites/applications. It really depends on what your database requirements are to decide what engine to use. I have only needed to use INNODB tables on large projects where tables may become corrupt due to a vast number of simultanious queries which would need repairing using MYISAM.

I always thought InnoDB was specifically designed for transactional databases...

MyISAM locks entire tables instead of single rows like InnoDB does.  So, anything that modifies data in a MyISAM causes a full table lock until the modifying is done.

I've seen situations where a MyISAM table slows down an entire site to a crawl due to all the locking.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.