Heck of a regex tool !

Adam

tbh I'm not impressed.  I mean, yeah wonderful, if I happen to come across a pattern and wasn't sure what it did, I could put it in there and see what it does, but to me that's not really all that useful.  And that's assuming I could read the 'diagram' output.  Needs a 'legend' to tell you what the different symbols and lines mean.  If you already know what they mean, chances are, you already knew what the pattern did to begin with. Informative? Sure...maybe (again, the output is almost as archaic as the input...).  Useful? No.

It's a start.  If ability to put in subject and it show you what the pattern matches inside the text (within the context of the text as a whole), we'd be getting to something useful.  Output is visually appealing, I'll give it that.  But overall, it's like seeing a tray full of fruit, walking over to pick an apple off it, and finding out it's just a plastic display.  And I'd rather it all be dumped on the same page, not separate pages.

Well yeah, that's a fair point. Thought the diagram, after you take 5 minutes to understand, isn't really all that complicated! I'm fairly new to regular expressions and find the tool useful to validate and check that it's what I'm trying to achieve. If there are any errors or problems it would help me identify the problem. I find it difficult - as I'm sure many others do - to visualize a complicated, long expression. Perhaps this is more useful to learners?

A

Theres a tool available for GNU Linux, I think it's called KDE RegEx Editor, that's really useful. I mainly use it to test my patterns against a bunch of strings. I think it might have been ported to Windows too, actually.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.